Bombshell Spies to ?????

c7fx

I'm sure he can go anywhere in WSB and make a lot of money. Actually WSB would be the races to watch with him added to it.

I still think Yamaha didn't give him the same bike as Jorge Lorenzo. Thats just my opinion.

I agree if he does return to WSB, he'll definitely be competitive and up towards the front. WSB isnt as tightly wound as the elite class so its surely easier for him to work with a lesser machine and still contend for podiums, especially at his experience/skill level. He complained Jorge got the Yamaha teams attention moreso than he did with equipment, setup, etc. but he went through the same situation as the Yosh Suzuki sidekick to Mladin so I never expected him to NOT persevere in GP like he did back then.

Kind of wish Ben had never left Tech3 since their improvements have brought them closer to the front. He probably shared the same wish at some point throughout it all, but thats what hindsight does for ya:nono:

Spies leaving Yamaha is not a surprise. Spies staying in MotoGP where he has done dank, that would be a bigger surprise.

Though, if I had to guess, Suzuki has a new bike in '13 and Spies might be on one of a two or 3 bike entry. Kawasuki back and needing a rider?

Brian,

Your comment does seem a departure from your usual "respect the racer" attitude. I'm not nominating Hopper for Sportsman of the Year or anything, but I think you have to admit he's had bad luck with injuries. You know how random this can be. Wayne Rainey falls on his head in a gravel trap and is paralyzed. This past Sunday, Jonny Rea falls on his head in a gravel trap and gets up to score some points in the second race the same day. Hopkins had some weird ones, like getting his previously injured hand caught under a handlebar in a crash on a wet track.

I'm disappointed in his WSBK results this year too, but he made a gutsy run at the British Superbike championship last year.

Again, mass respect to Hopper for what he has accomplished. But, the reality is that you take each rider and compare to the same level riders he competes against. Unfortunately, Hopper has made some very bad decisions in his life that caused issue with teams and even people that helped him get into the world scene. That all being said, he is a racer that has followed a dream and succeeded to a degree.

But, I'm not comparing Jake Lewis to Casey Stoner or Max Biaggi. I am taking a fellow MotoGP star or WSBK star and comparing him to the same level riders he was at or should be. In other words, Jake Lewis should be compared to the top 5 riders in AMA SS. When you do that, Jake is an amazing rider at his age and what he has accomplished so far. Hopper gets compared to Spies and Hayden as he too has been at the same levels as they have. He was that good, was looking to be able to accomplish what they have, but has fallen short and has burned a LOT of bridges doing so.

In relative terms, he sucks when you stack him up against those guys. He's a motorcycle gypsy that runs from team to team and never seems to ever settle down. He's fragile and made of glass...

Look, take my words as 100% literal if you'd like. I know Serpent is simply stirring the pot, but you seem to be legit here. Is this really any different when you look at a quarterback in the NFL? You have respect for the guy because you know exactly how tough it is to be a starter in the NFL and especially at that position. But, there are some starting quarterbacks that suck. Why do they suck? Because they are compared against their peers and some of their peers are amazing at what they do.

In every level of racing, there are sub-levels. At the club level, there are 40 experts. Those 40 experts are in different ability classes. Some are back 40, some are mid pack guys, some are top ten, some are top 5 and some are the fastest 3 guys no matter where they go. Then, US Club National level, AMA Pro, WSBK, MotoGP, etc., etc... Take the AMA. There are privateers that are scrapping funds to not even qualify at an event. Some make the show and are well off the times of the leaders. Some are mid pack, some top 10, top 5, top 3. All are very visible as far as times and finishes. BUT, the last place guy in the field is still probably one of the faster club guys when he club races.

It's a crazy system, but the facts are that we compare racers against whom they compete. Hopkins was a top choice, top prospect. He's not quite lived up to his potential.

• Upvote 1

In every sport I've ever competed in, one thing has always rang true....

There will ALWAYS be someone better the you.

I think this is basically what B is trying to convey about Hopper. He's good, very good, but at the level he's gotten himself into he doesn't cut the mustard so to speak.

It's a crazy system, but the facts are that we compare racers against whom they compete. Hopkins was a top choice, top prospect. He's not quite lived up to his potential.

I have no argument with your thesis.

In the end, there's no way to separate out precisely how much of a failure to live up to potential is due to poor decisions and how much is due to bad luck. Hopper's definitely had both.

What Spies is doing right now is like giving Yamaha a big finger and an ugly facial expression. If burning that bridge comes back to haunt him, and he ends up on a lesser team, getting hurt trying to override a lesser bike, etc., his career will be second-guessed to death. If he goes on to win multiple world championships, he'll be a hero to "take this job and shove it" dreamers the world over. :D

I have no argument with your thesis.

In the end, there's no way to separate out precisely how much of a failure to live up to potential is due to poor decisions and how much is due to bad luck. Hopper's definitely had both.

What Spies is doing right now is like giving Yamaha a big finger and an ugly facial expression. If burning that bridge comes back to haunt him, and he ends up on a lesser team, getting hurt trying to override a lesser bike, etc., his career will be second-guessed to death. If he goes on to win multiple world championships, he'll be a hero to "take this job and shove it" dreamers the world over. :D

I think you are dead nuts right. I worry that Spies has had one of the best machines in the paddock and hasn't performed as well as expected in the last couple of years. Up and down, etc. I think the world traveling and such and even the BS politics found at that level have worn on him. Rather, I think maybe he doesn't know quite how to handle it as Hayden, Edwards, etc have all done well with it.

I think if Spies quits and has a GREAT reason or can move on to something else and show Yamaha they fucked up, it will be epic. However, Yamaha isn't known to be like that. Honda, however is. If this were a Honda deal, I'd understand. But, the issue is going to be the future. He walks out or if it is perceived to be due to pouting, etc., it's going to be tough to get him on a top shelf GP team.

I personally think he wouldn't do anything other than a factory ride, but maybe back to Tech 3! How cool would that be?

But, again... I think WSBK is the best place for him.