Bombshell Spies to ?????

c7fx

Tired of Jorge kicking his ass on the same machine.

Hmmmm. I'm voting Honda, although Repsol already announced Stoners replacement (Marquez).

Don't really matter no how. I'm hooked on the Moto3 class. Teammates pushing each other into the grass means they're still hungry.

And fearless. I like the redull rookies' cup even more. Those kids are rubbing elbows down the straights.

I almost wish they'd back off a little. Not worth hurting each other over a win when you're both that close. The sponsors notice who is fighting for the lead, not just who wins.

Spies to WSBK.

Thinking this is true, that'll be only the 2nd American(John Hopkins) to be in the series, correct me if I'm wrong? So some good US marketing there and sponsorships possibly?

I guess I wasn't too huge in MotoGP, Moto2, WSBK, etc earlier in my days so I don't know much history for Hopkins.. ?

So basically he has $$ or he brings $$ and that's it? I mean I just pulled his stats, finishing the season 20+ every year he's done it, only 2 poles ever.

Not bashing him because trust me, I respect the fact that he could lap me anywhere anytime, in 1 lap, but still.

So basically he has $$ or he brings $$ and that's it? I mean I just pulled his stats, finishing the season 20+ every year he's done it, only 2 poles ever.

Not bashing him because trust me, I respect the fact that he could lap me anywhere anytime, in 1 lap, but still.

The deal is simple. At the world level, you are compared to some lofty people. Unfortunately for Hopkins, my opinion is he left too early. Got a bit caught up in the money side of things and forgot he was a motorcycle racer. Yes, accomplished a lot, had some success, but take into consideration Hayden and Spies. Both waited a bit, both accomplished a lot and are probably the two biggest draws for marketing in Europe, etc. Hopkins? Not so much...

The thing is that when you say someone like him sucks, it is when compared to what the expectations were as well as the others he shares a grid with. Look at WSBK. He is compared against Biaggi, Checa, Rea, etc., etc. He sucks. He isn't fighting for a win or even a top 10. Look at Davies. Comes in and in his first year, is a much better racer than Hopkins who should be up front with the experience he has...

And yet he made (and lost) a good living from his earlier abilities. Ohhhh, "sucks" vs. "sucked". I get it.

He sucked in my mind. Again, the expectations and what he was racing as well as who. Americans are a HUGE draw over seas in racing. He was a star. He knew it, spent a shit pile of money and partied like a rock star. He forgot why he was there and what he had to do.

He lost rides, lost friends and even when he was asked back by the guy that essentially discovered him to race here, he bit that hand as well.

Burned bridges, lost a lot. Never had much really. Name his successes and compare against the others. Not much to talk about. Shame, really...

Brian,

Your comment does seem a departure from your usual "respect the racer" attitude. I'm not nominating Hopper for Sportsman of the Year or anything, but I think you have to admit he's had bad luck with injuries. You know how random this can be. Wayne Rainey falls on his head in a gravel trap and is paralyzed. This past Sunday, Jonny Rea falls on his head in a gravel trap and gets up to score some points in the second race the same day. Hopkins had some weird ones, like getting his previously injured hand caught under a handlebar in a crash on a wet track.

I'm disappointed in his WSBK results this year too, but he made a gutsy run at the British Superbike championship last year.

Back on topic: Does Spies' tweet about getting "back where he belongs" means he'll be riding the Suzuki MotoGP bike?

I wonder if he will be taking a break from travel and come back to the AMA? I'm sure he can go anywhere in WSB and make a lot of money. Actually WSB would be the races to watch with him added to it.

I still think Yamaha didn't give him the same bike as Jorge Lorenzo. Thats just my opinion.

I wonder if he will be taking a break from travel and come back to the AMA? I'm sure he can go anywhere in WSB and make a lot of money. Actually WSB would be the races to watch with him added to it.

I still think Yamaha didn't give him the same bike as Jorge Lorenzo. Thats just my opinion.

i wouldn't doubt it.

also, isn't suzuki not coming back until 2014? that would eliminate the Suzuki GP tale.

Spies has stated in the past how he doesn't like the travel, so AMA is possible however there is no money in AMA meaning an AMA return is unlikely.

I vote WSBK as well.