Motoseries Aug 11-12 Round 6 - Putnam

rubbersidedown

Ordering parts.....again. I'm afraid to even ask for the story.

I low sided it going into 10 on the first lap of the first session while getting a tow from Taft. It was out of no where, very neutral on the gas just leaned over and then the rear just kept on coming around. Put me on my ass from the entry of the turn, slid across the track over the curbing and into the dirt. Bike held up great overall. Got all my sliders, a little bit of the lower fairing but it ripped a special bolt out of my timing cover and caused a small oil leak. Might have torn the gasket material behind the cover as well. Need to get a woodcraft cover and will be good to go.

I low sided it going into 10 on the first lap of the first session while getting a tow from Taft. It was out of no where, very neutral on the gas just leaned over and then the rear just kept on coming around. Put me on my ass from the entry of the turn, slid across the track over the curbing and into the dirt. Bike held up great overall. Got all my sliders, a little bit of the lower fairing but it ripped a special bolt out of my timing cover and caused a small oil leak. Might have torn the gasket material behind the cover as well. Need to get a woodcraft cover and will be good to go.

Damn if it ain't one thing its another. Sounds like the bike faired a little better this time and hopefully you did too. Being the first lap of the first session, the track was probably slick, cold, and maybe a little dew left on it?

That sucks. If it didn't happen so early you could have blamed it on Craig for pouring shit on the track.

Damn if it ain't one thing its another. Sounds like the bike faired a little better this time and hopefully you did too. Being the first lap of the first session, the track was probably slick, cold, and maybe a little dew left on it?

The track was definitely slick for sure and I could tell that from the previous 9 corners, lol. I went into 10 at what I felt was slower than I had done everything else knowing how slick it was and that turn 10 is stupidly dangerous in terms of runoff. I barely entered the turn and bam, on my ass and into the dirt I went. Leg is all bruised up but much better than my last on track incident.

I had a pretty good weekend overall, considering it was my first time at Putnam. Track is pretty cool, I don't think it's one of my favorites though. I snagged a 5th in 600 SBK 2, and a 6th in the Mini 20, so I kept my 3rd place position in both championships. Pretty much spent the weekend chasing Cox around, who was riding really fucking well. Nice job, bro! We had a blast all weekend running around out there together. (Post up the vids!)

I feel bad for Craig and Brian, having bike issues and getting sidelined early. That is never fun. Still don't understand how Brian went down. We were going slow as hell that first lap learning the track with a tow from Taft. I think it was just a combination of cold track, maybe cool tires, and bad luck.

Overall I had a great time racing, had some really fun battles. Battling with Cox was awesome, I always have fun battling with some of the Assfault Junkie guys like Gerber and Mannon. They are always good, clean battles that really make the racing a blast. I will say though that apparently one of them (Double R, who I actually like a lot) thinks I took him out in the bus stop. Not true. Never even saw him or knew he was there. In fact, I don't know if I've ever really seen him in a race. You shouldn't really pass someone on the inside of the bus stop unless you make damn sure they know you are there. He said my right knee touched his left elbow. What? When I randomly stopped by his pit to see if he was ok, he didn't seem to have an issue, but judging by his post on the junkies site, I guess he does. Supposedly he has a video, so I'd like to see that. Anyway, I like the kid a lot, seems super cool and really polite whenever I talk to him, but he's posting on the internet about it when he could have just talked to me in person. And I would be posting on their forum right now, but they haven't aproved my registration.

Rubbing is racing...don't let it get to ya. Hell, I had someone throwing me under the bus after his wreck too, and I was nowhere near the guy on the track. I just happened to have a white bike and he saw a white bike near him when he wrecked, so he blamed me. At least he was man enough to appologize to me later when he found out it wasn't me.

The truth is, no one likes to wreck and they certainly don't like to admit it was their fault. So, any chance they can get to blame someone else will be taken.

Man, that track owns us from the sounds of it. But whatever, I'm over it, glad to hear some good races were had too.

Brian, get at me if you need help etc. Matt, glad you rocked it, Craig, we've already talked always hate hearing you not having any luck this season. KTM, sounds like your weekend was fun but not as fun as it should have been, sorry to hear. Jinu, did you even run, you ain't posted sh*t! lol.

Just glad everyone came home safe.

Anyone have suggestions for video editing software for the Go Pro HD/MP4 video for vista 64bit? Windows Movie Maker doesn't like MP4's and hell if I'm going to upload the whole thing for 3 races. (4.4Gb) I'm still definitely working on getting back into the swing of things and getting use to Putnam and the lines. I may have to edit the sound of the the videos for when I'm off/on in corners to get my lines right. :(

I would have had video of the guy (Matt?) that highsided in the start of 600Sbk R2 if my GoPro timer hadn't auto shutoff. From reading the boards it looks like he got a broken Tib/Fib, and I would believe it from how high in the air he was and then his bike chasing my line until I took to the grass.

Edited by SJC1000rr

Man, that track owns us from the sounds of it. But whatever, I'm over it, glad to hear some good races were had too.

Brian, get at me if you need help etc. Matt, glad you rocked it, Craig, we've already talked always hate hearing you not having any luck this season. KTM, sounds like your weekend was fun but not as fun as it should have been, sorry to hear. Jinu, did you even run, you ain't posted sh*t! lol.

Just glad everyone came home safe.

i did the mini 20 and did poorly like usual... but had a good time. made a lot of terrible jokes, farted often, broke the shower.

oh, and i hope steve's home and belongings were intact when he got home.

I would have had video of the guy (Matt?) that highsided in the start of 600Sbk R2 if my GoPro timer hadn't auto shutoff. From reading the boards it looks like he got a broken Tib/Fib, and I would believe it from how high in the air he was and then his bike chasing my line until I took to the grass.

The guy that high sided coming out of 4 was Ray on the red and black gixxer, I believe. I also heard he messed up his leg pretty bad. I really hope he heals up fast and 100%. Just for clarity, this incident was not the one I previously posted about in this thread.

i did the mini 20 and did poorly like usual... but had a good time. made a lot of terrible jokes, farted often, broke the shower.

oh, and i hope steve's home and belongings were intact when he got home.

Shit, we did have a great time traveling down there and back! Long rides but we laughed a lot and just had a great time traveling with friends. Just don't microwave bagel bites at midnight or everyone will hate you.

Rubbing is racing...don't let it get to ya. Hell, I had someone throwing me under the bus after his wreck too, and I was nowhere near the guy on the track. I just happened to have a white bike and he saw a white bike near him when he wrecked, so he blamed me. At least he was man enough to appologize to me later when he found out it wasn't me.

The truth is, no one likes to wreck and they certainly don't like to admit it was their fault. So, any chance they can get to blame someone else will be taken.

Exactly right, and at this point, I'm over it. Nothing else really needs to be said. I was just kind of pissed when I first saw him posting about it.

And as I said yesterday and even Todd said at the riders meeting, if your going to make a pass you have to do it cleanly and safely. The person passing has the responsibility to do that taking into considerations their skill and the possible skill of others around them.

Just keep going Matt, your doing fine.

I had a terrible time at Putnam this time around. The twin is still hard to figure out. It is a ton of fun, but I struggle on setup. I have never been a knob turner and I think maybe I need to start new and start from the beginning and see if I can sort it out. The wheel base is short and causes the front to be light everywhere. We tried raising the rear a bit to allow it to steer better as I had an understeer issue. That worked a bit and as mentioned before, we chased preload settings all day Saturday. Cred to guys like Brandon and Gene for showing up Sunday and running quick out of the box. Gene ran the fastest times of the weekend and actually went slower each race. It was really strange and tough to figure out.

I didn't have good results really. I felt I did OK considering some things, but in the end, I got really good starts. Agnes is a BEAST on starts. I think I am almost as good as the twin launches well. It is the shinning point in the season as I seem to be there on the starts. In 1000GT, Agnes, myself and Peters were all wheelies from the start until the first crest. It was crazy. I was short shifting and still lofting the wheel... Race #2, I got a solid start, but carried the wheel a good distance again and put too much weight to the left and thought I cut Peters wheel on the start, but he said it was all good. Race #3, I got a solid start and Agnes and I were in front 1-2 until lap 4. Then ol' Justin and Gene pulled past me like I was glued to the track.

My results were shitty, but felt I did a decent job. Could run a few laps as hard as I felt I could with the issues and then, they just wore me out. The surge, clunk issue in the turns just wore me down. The chassis never got planted and the surging issues caused the bike to get upset like if you chopped the throttle. I always felt like I was going to lowside. Turn 1 was the worse. So much speed and load on the front and just before turn in, it was on and off and was just not good. I tried hard. Lost several positions and just couldn't do it. I thought of coming in on the third race, but knew Wrobel and Neyra would have busted my nuts too much for quitting... Peer pressure...

So, I think I got a 6th in 100GT. Was my funnest race because I looked back and saw Kent coming on the last lap. Knew he was CRAZY good at 5 so, I came in tight to defend, but had a lapper. I made the decision to pass on the outside going into the Bus Stop. BUT, thelapper went wide into it and I crushed the brakes to avoid clipping him, cut tight inside and lost all my entry speed. Matt passed me like a rocket out of a cannon coming out! I was laughing in my helmet and cussing him out at the same time. I knew it! I knew as soon as I scrubbed speed, I was a goner.

In 1000 SB #1, I got 4th. Held off Wrobel that was on a shit front tire that I wouldn't give free to my least favorite rider. How the hell he raced that race on that pile of shit tire is beyond me. But, I looked back, saw him and tried to put my head down. The tranny issue was a big deal that race and it had me blowing some lines and Jeff was on my ass for line choice and being all over the place. So, I punched him in the mouth and ran. No, I didn't and he was joking, but it was stupid as to me missing my points and such.

1000 SB #2 was the last race I ran. Got a 5th. Just had shit for anyone. Agnes and I held 1-2 until right before halfway when the rocket ship freight train of Neyra and Burcham came flying by. Robert got me also. They all just powered by me, but were also riding better so, it wasn't just power. Also, Dave on the R6 beating a lot of us open bikes was proof that it isn't about power that makes a fast lap time. I think he and Wrobel had the second fastest times of the weekends. They pushed each other to :13.1s, I think...

Anyways, hope to find out what the issue is with the tranny issues. I am probably not back until the Sept events due to work. Hope to see you all at Nelson or Beaver! I also will not make Grattan due to work, either so, I think only two more rounds!

It was great hanging with Steve, Craig and the other OR guys. The AFJ guys have more respect from me after this weekend. I always have liked Josh and as far as his comments, I haven't seen them yet, but he is a really good dude.

The others like Gerbs, Beard, Mannon, Cob, Brandon, Monger, etc all did well, I think. I know there were a ton of them and even though several attend the other MS events, there were more this round.

Sorry Craig couldn't race. The GSXR you rode, dude is by no means an indicator of all GSXRs. I raced GSXRs from 2000 until last season and can say they are as solid a race machine as anything. Just bum luck and most likely, poor maintaining of the machine. Remember, Jeff can ride a fucking scooter fast so, don't try his setup. He's got a different riding style and can make even the shittiest machine look better than it is. That thing was bone stock and from the looks of it, had the forks raised up vs what Jeff ran it last. That means the handling was changed and those bikes need trail. Hence why everyone with a 600 has fork extenders... The gasket deal is a deal that is freaky if the bike was newer or low miles and wasn't crashed, etc. Just bad luck, man.

In any case, had a great time. Holy shit the stories we were telling at dinner. Ask Steve about the poop on the seat....

Hollywood i approved u man. Bus stop can get hairy when a pass happens. it takes seat time to get used to rubbing while racing. Matt kent and i did the same thing,but i thought it was fun lol. I think the reason for putnam crashes is because its dam near FLAT and that makes it harder to navigate.

Hollywood i approved u man. Bus stop can get hairy when a pass happens. it takes seat time to get used to rubbing while racing. Matt kent and i did the same thing,but i thought it was fun lol. I think the reason for putnam crashes is because its dam near FLAT and that makes it harder to navigate.

Were you having front end "feel" issues Sunday? Meaning, vague front end feel?