Carring Registration

gump1376

So I'm new to the state of OH and I'm not sure if I need to carry the motorcycle registration. I know in KY, you do not need to carry it (your license plate stickers are just fine). In Washington State you DO need to carry your registration with you when you're on your bike. So here in OH, which is it? Would like to know, so if I don't carry it, I wont be in doo doo with the LEO if I get pulled over.

I'm not aware of any ORC requiring proof of registration during a traffic stop (doesn't mean there isn't). If the vehicle is registered to you, the LEO can pull up your registration on LEADS, or dispatch can if he doesn't have a computer in the car. That being said, how hard is it to carry a piece of paper. Stick it in your wallet or in a ziplock bag under the seat? Then you won't have to worry about it.

Edit: insurance is required (another paper) and like BGV said, the systems do ocassionaly go down.

Edited by chevysoldier

The new registration stickers have the license plate they're registered to printed out on them. Should negate the need to carry registration. Cop runs plate, plate comes back as you, current, valid sticker on plate with matching numbers. I have NEVER been asked for the registration on any of my vehicles any of the dozen or so times I've been pulled over.

I carry mine because there's no way to prove the bike is yours just from a plate. I already got pulled over because my plate didn't match my bike. mistake at the dmv. it came back registered as stolen. and guess what. It would have been towed in if I didn't have the registration. so I saved myself a walk home, a tow and a impound fee.

your choice.

I'm not aware of any ORC requiring proof of registration during a traffic stop (doesn't mean there isn't). If the vehicle is registered to you, the LEO can pull up your registration on LEADS, or dispatch can if he doesn't have a computer in the car. That being said, how hard is it to carry a piece of paper. Stick it in your wallet or in a ziplock bag under the seat? Then you won't have to worry about it.

Edit: insurance is required (another paper) and like BGV said, the systems do ocassionaly go down.

+100 How much of a problem is it to have 3 items in your wallet with you. Why make a federal case out of it...carry your license, proof of insurance, and even a xerox copy of the registeration will do. I even have a xerox copy of the title in my wallet. NOT a BIG deal!

• Downvote 1

Doesn't the registration say to carry it in the vehicle at all times? If the cop reads the plate wrong (happens a lot) and it comes back stolen, he's probably going stop you without re-checking it. If he's all eager beaver over arresting you having your registration readily available may save you time and keep you outta cuffs.

Doesn't the registration say to carry it in the vehicle at all times? If the cop reads the plate wrong (happens a lot) and it comes back stolen, he's probably going stop you without re-checking it. If he's all eager beaver over arresting you having your registration readily available may save you time and keep you outta cuffs.

Its not unusual for a tag to come back as stolen. Often it is a trailer or motorcycle that's stolen but the system advises "stolen" because the VINs are similar.

Its not unusual for a tag to come back as stolen. Often it is a trailer or motorcycle that's stolen but the system advises "stolen" because the VINs are similar.

So having your registration that matches your I'd and the tag may help calm the situation.