120/70 - 120/60 Front

600ZZ4eb

What up guys,

Just ordered some new tires and i'm going from 120/70 to a 120/60 front tire. Can i expect a huge difference in handling? I do mostly commuting to work, but hit the twisties about once a month (or try too..JP, thats to beat you to the punch ;-) ) for a couple hundred miles during riding season.

Thanks

given that the second number in the tire is a percentage of the width, you're talking about a 10% change in your side-wall height, based on a 120mm tire.

So 12 milimeters shorter, and a proportionate change in profile.

As someone else said, the profile change may make the bike feel a bit more sluggish to turn-in, but if your front tire is already worn, the change may not even be that noticeable. a 120/70 near the end of its life is more like a 120/62 or so anyway...

What I think the bigger deal might be is that you've essentially moved your forks in the triples by 12mm, because the smaller tire is lowering your axle. THAT could feel quite significant compared to the appropriate stock setting. So slide the forks down a centimeter if you can. Or you might just like the raised rear feel, which would combat some of the slow turn-in issues caused by a rounder profile tire.

going from 120/70 to 120/60 isn't nearly as problematic as the opposite change. Some bikes will have the front tire rubbing the fender with that extra 1.2 cm of height.

interesting....Thanks guys. I got a good deal on them, but i see on another sight where they have the same size tire for the same price so i'm trying to decide if i want to cancel my order....the difference is about $12 because of sales tax to get the same size so it seems it may be worth the $12...i'm not sure about adjusting the forks or raising the rear, although i've heard of it i dont know how to do it or make sure its set up proper....one day i will though. :-)

So here's a similar question:

I have a GSXR front end sitting in my garage ready to be installed on my SV650. The GSXR tire is a 120/70 where the SV is a 120/60.

I plan on carrying over my current tire to the GSXR front wheel, because it's essentially brand new (only 2 track days this season).

Is the GSXR wheel any wider, and if so, is putting a smaller tire going to create an issue? For what it's worth, the GSXR fork swap lowers the front end a bit already.

I really don't want to buy a new tire when I essentially just bought one. But is this is going to make the bike twitchy, I'll buck up and buy a 120/70

Is the GSXR wheel any wider, and if so, is putting a smaller tire going to create an issue? For what it's worth, the GSXR fork swap lowers the front end a bit already.

tires are the same width, 120 mm... wheels should be the same width, too...

perhaps some of us are taking for granted that everyone knows what the tire numbers mean...

120/70/17 is a 120 millimeter wide tire, and the "height" of the tire is 70% of that 120 millimeters.

so stick a decimal point in front of the second number, and then multiply it by the first number .70 x 120mm = 84mm of tire height on a 120/70, versus 72mm on a 120/60 tire.

the last number is the rim size (in inches), and that had better match stock, or you're going to have a hell of a time mounting them...

I don't know why they use inches and millimeters in the same sizing convention, but that's how it works.