Is it just me?

KZ900

Seen people stop about a car's length back from the white line in turn lanes.

They seem to believe this action somehow fools the turn arrow into "seeing" two cars in the turn lane, thereby offering up the green arrow for a single car. Not sure if it actually works or not... As for leaving two car lengths between the car ahead at a traffic light; Maybe they're scared of hitting the car in front of them if someone hits them from behind?

Seen people stop about a car's length back from the white line in turn lanes.

They seem to believe this action somehow fools the turn arrow into "seeing" two cars in the turn lane, thereby offering up the green arrow for a single car. Not sure if it actually works or not...

sometimes it works...

the one in front of "the Ashtabula mall" (it's not really a mall, how can you call it a mall if you have no stores?) you can see the magnetic sensor in the pavement a cars length back from the white line.

noticed it around here and its actually screwed me outta a green light since they were too far back from the sensor. I also think its funny when people ride someones ass and then when you get almost as close as they were they brake check ya.

So they can text comfortably.

^^^ this

My favorite are the "creepers" that stop far back, but slowly creep up to the next car in line. I don't know what the emotional intelligence behind this move is -- do they think they're still keeping things moving along while they're texting so they're not as bad as the other texters?

Or does there seem to be an epidemic of people stopping short of the car ahead of them at a traffic light? Leaving two or more car spaces between them and the car in front of them or the white line. Why would someone do this and why do they get really pissed when you pull into the open void? I pulled into the space and the 80 year old woman went ballistic. Have others noticed this new driving tactic?

Maybe the old woman's far sighted and can't see the light without sitting 20 yards back? :dunno:

As for pulling into the open space at the front of the line, that's a good idea :D I'll have to try that technique the next time I see it an opportunity.

I dont see any problem leaving space between cars and I wouldnt suggest moving into that space.

However I get real annoyed by people not pulling up onto magnetic sensors at stop lights. There are quite a few that will not change if there is no vehicle. And when a vehicle stops way back from the intersection the light will not change.

I cant believe the number of people that have not figured out those sensors yet. I remember in my MSF course a girl stating "I've never seen one of those before" :eek:

As for the left turn lane. Often it is not a bad idea to hang back a little ways, especially on a bike. A truck turning onto the road in the opposite direction will often cut the corner pretty hard. Definitely a dangerous position for a vehicle if unaware.

Craig

As for the left turn lane. Often it is not a bad idea to hang back a little ways, especially on a bike. A truck turning onto the road in the opposite direction will often cut the corner pretty hard. Definitely a dangerous position for a vehicle if unaware.

Craig

this^ not just trucks, everyone is afraid to turn sharply, I see it all the time...

and when in my car I pull my nose right up to that corner:D

I've noticed... I just figure they're in a hurry to stop so they can get back to texting...

On a side note about the sensors in the road, I stopped at a light the other day that didn't sense my bike. The car behind stopped two car lengths back, also not tripping the sensor. I had to turn around and waive them up to me pointing at the sensor in the road so the light would change. Good thing I've got a smoke visor so they couldn't see me mouthing "move the fuck up, dumb ass"

this^ not just trucks, everyone is afraid to turn sharply, I see it all the time...

and when in my car I pull my nose right up to that corner:D

Me too :D

There is a light by my old house that only changed with it being tripped. One day after getting home I noticed an ok lady sitting 2 lengths back with 3-4 cars behind her so I ran up an hit the cross walk button for it to change. She looked a me like I was crazy and the people behind her said thanks an some clapped :lol:

noticed it around here and its actually screwed me outta a green light since they were too far back from the sensor. I also think its funny when people ride someones ass and then when you get almost as close as they were they brake check ya.

This happens to me all the time. The car behind me sits a car length back, and the light doesn't change. There's one light near me where this happens almost every time I stop. I generally have to pull out almost into the intersection to encourage the drive to move forward a little bit so that they're positioned over the magnet.

There's one light near me where this happens almost every time I stop. I generally have to pull out almost into the intersection to encourage the drive to move forward a little bit so that they're positioned over the magnet.

Wait one light cycle then run it. Call the city/county to complain and they are supposed to come out and recalibrate it.

Wait one light cycle then run it. Call the city/county to complain and they are supposed to come out and recalibrate it.

I've already looked into this.

State law allows you to go through a stop light if a light is malfunctioning. The only malfunctions where this is allowed, though, is if there is no light at all, or more than one light at once. There is no provision for a light that is not triggered. I'm not going to risk it (plus, I'd likely get a nice second minor misdemeanor charge added on for using headphone in both ears, to boot)