email address help

Steve Butters

ok so....friend of mine is getting emails from my personal email address (one that i only use for professional stuff, no web accounts or anything).

the "reply" address is a different email, not mine.

i know the "from" line can be spoofed, but im not sure if thats the case. it says from "Tyler Butera" and has my email. i have emailed him once from that address, a long time ago (years).

if my email was compromised, i would think the email would be a mass email to contacts, and so far, nobody else i know has gotten these emails from me.

however, if it was his email, wouldnt he get these from more than one of his contacts? why just one?

im trying to figure out if my account has been compromised, and im not sure whats going on....nothing in my sent folders, and like i said, nobody else has been getting these emails

however, i use the same password for everything, so if there is a problem, i need to go and change all my passwords....dont wanna go through that unless im sure something is wrong

anyone know how to tell whats going on?

also ....the person who received these emails is NOT in my "contacts" list in that email address. and the last time I emailed them was november 15th, 2010.

interestingly though, when i searched to find that date, i found an email in my "inbox" FROM them on July 14th 2011 that appears to contain a spam link...it was also addressed to other people in their address book (i know because of the company name)....making me think maybe its real not a spoof...meaning, maybe their account is compromised, not mine?

i cant see the header of it since it was sent to him, not me...the one he sent me with spam a year ago, has his email as the "from" and the "return path"

argh, some header viewers display both the spoofed and the actual. Dunno now. Looked at Yahoo mail and both showed.