How thick for a .22 target?

redkow97

It certainly seems like it'd be fine...

There's another thread somewhere on this forum saying that .380 won't penetrate flesh, so using that rationale .22lr should get to the skillet and fall to the ground before it actually makes contact....:rolleyes:

Sent from HTC Incredible

I have seen news stories where jeans or even a hair weave have stopped .22 rounds... What those stories generally fail to mention is the plethora of stuff the bullet has traveled through prior to being stopped by jeans, etc.

Anyway, the purchased .22 targets arent that thick, I just don't know how a pan compares with a hardened steel target.

Aluminum or steel pan? Probably doesnt matter against .22cal and less yet at 100yds. We always used a 4' square of old 1/4" plate steel. It was good against most anything at distance except our .30'06

If it helps I used some washing machine skin metal to make one of my spinner targets. A 9mm will not penetrate it but does dent the piss out of it, so as long as you skilet in made of an alloy as strong as the metal on the exterior of a standard washing machine and your pan can swing I'd bet it will handle a 22 but will be dented.

Make it a swinger target that should help some. I have one of the small swinger targets from Cabelas with the 3.5", 2.5" and 1.5" targets. My .22mag only slighty dents it. A .17hmr on the other hand dents it pretty severely. All @100yds. A 7.62x54 broke it completely so now i need to buy or make a new one.:mad:

How thick should the plate/gong be to withstand high power rifles @ 100-200yds?

How thick should the plate/gong be to withstand high power rifles @ 100-200yds?

This is 1/4 inch mild steel. Photo taken after I repaired the holes. :lol:

spinnerrepair.jpg

A 7.62X54 steel core goes right thru like hot knife thru butter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQxL7VFXQ9I

A 45acp could not dent it, nor could a 357 mag. I have not tried 7.62x39 ammo yet.

Edited by buildit

Sweet! You know it will last at least one outing :D Probably get a bit of a resounding "ding" to confirm hits too

yeah, as long as I can keep people with .223 rounds from shooting at it, I think it will do okay.

All it cost me is getting rid of some scrap wood from the fence I build 3 years ago... the screws were the most expensive part!

Be very careful.. .22 will ricochet off of all kinds of shit!! TRUST ME...
They should be okay since it is not a fixed surface. That will absorb a lot of the inertia. Most I've heard of are actually pieces that rebound as the bullet disintegrates on impact. So wear those safety glasses! ;)

They should be okay since it is not a fixed surface. That will absorb a lot of the inertia. Most I've heard of are actually pieces that rebound as the bullet disintegrates on impact. So wear those safety glasses! ;)

Not true. That .22 wont move that pan enough to cause it to absorb much impact. Ive seen .22's ricochet off of coffee cans and soup cans many MANY times. .22's are unique in the fact that the are slow and light enough that you would be surprised at what all they will bounce off of. Very un-predictable.

Arguing guns and ammo ballistics with Flounder is like having a dick measuring contest with a horse ;)

Arguing guns and ammo ballistics with Flounder is like having a dick measuring contest with a horse ;)

I just lie, everyone knows horses can't tell distances. :rolleyes: I'll have to take Flounder word for it as I have never heard of a .22 round rebounding back at you off a non fixed target. I know they can tumble and vector off at almost 45 degrees as a solid mass. As they say though, "better safe than sorry".

Did they say in the video above he was shooting iron? There is another video on the tube of a Canadian shooting where the round ricochets back and hits him in the head. Also notice part of what ricochet back hit the ground in front of him too.

Found it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPZyBLv0ijc