brake pads

Anden

What's the difference? Organic, Kevlar, Metalic, and Sintered. Mostly street riding and I'm pretty sure one style will trash rotors with a quickness. Or so I've heard. Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Organics are easiest on your rotors, but not much for longevity. Sintered ARE metallic/semi-metallic, right?

I know HH sintered are good choices for hard riding/braking/track use, but will eat up rotors faster than organics.

I honestly dont know much about kevlars, so hopefully someone with better knowledge can enlighten us both on all the differences as I've done zero research on this

What's the difference? Organic, Kevlar, Metalic, and Sintered. Mostly street riding and I'm pretty sure one style will trash rotors with a quickness. Or so I've heard. Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

You're probably going to just want to get a quality organic pad.

My $0.02 , I'm a struggling photographer not a brake systems engineer. My research is incomplete and the descriptions have holes in them, but from what I can gather . . . generally the three options are Organic, Semi-metallic, and Sintered. As you mentioned mostly street riding, but the type of bike also plays large role in the selection of proper pads.

Organic pads generally use man made fibers (such as kevlar) and are resin bonded with petrochemicals. They are not as aggressive, meaning they are easier on your rotors and offer a smoother feel under braking. Thermally speaking heat will remain in rotor for dissipation. They are not well suited for hard track day riding. These will work well on the street and or for a novice track day.

Semi-Metallic appear to be an older technology, cheaper to produce than sintered pads while still giving a more aggressive and initial bite than organic pads. They seem to work better than organics in wet conditions. They will wear on your rotor more quickly than the organics. Semi-metallic's may also be more prone to squeaks.

Sintered pads produced by sintering (heat and pressure in a mold) the compounds. The compounds used in sintered pads seem to vary widely as companies are developing new technologies and compounds to meet ever changing demands. These are designed to give a higher level of braking performance than organic or semi-metallic pads. Older formulas seemed to need a little bit of heat before they started to get a good bite but new compounds are claiming no heat needed. Most information shows they are harder on brake rotors and are inteded for use on steel, and not on iron rotors.

Some decent information can be read at the following places, but take it for what it is worth as it comes from those trying to sell their product and not independent research:

http://www.performancefriction.com/Repository/Files/20100920DLM_DemystifyingFriction_PFCLetterhead2.pdf

http://www.braketech.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=18&Itemid=79

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/motorcycle_brake/organic_brake_pads/index.shtml

Edited by Kyle Hunter