Who shoots a crossbow?

Tpoppa

I been around firearms for a long time, but never fired a crossbow until recently. It was pretty cool and more accurate than I expected.

What is a decent, not to expensive crossbow? I am not opposed to a used one, but not sure what to look for to be sure it's in good working condition.

I am not planning on hunting with it. I would use it for targets and to teach a 12 year old basic marksmanship skills.

Horton is a good crossbow, you can get into big money when it comes to crossbows, look at some of the TenPoints and you will see what i mean. I would look for a cheap used one if all your going to do is target shoot but be aware of worn strings and cambers. You might think you are getting a good deal only to find out something needs replaced and then you are talking $100 min.

For entry level, go Horton, You can spend a pretty penny on crossbows just like anything else. Things to always remember

1. Never dry fire any bow!!!!!

2. Never fire an arrow that is too light. Result is almost the same as dry firing!!!

3. Inspect the arrows for cracks or chips, cams, and strings before every outing!!!

4. Always keep pointed in safe direction..

The one I shot was a Horton. It was a pretty good one from what I was told.

I'd be looking to spend under $200. Under $100 would be even better :)

Looks to just shoot in your backyard or try and hunt with? Under $100 budget wont get you much of quality IMO