I'm looking for Tips, Tricks, Advice and Pointers for wheelie control

magley64

Clutching it up gives you a better more controlled start than powering up.

Not that you would know first hand... ;)

yut ugh!

I wish I had seen this earlier, so that you wouldn't have beat me to it!

I can't wheelie for shit, but I think if you aspire too, you ought to get used to using the rear brake.

One of my favorite quotes from a friend: "That thing got a rear brake? Here - hold my beer."

Hilarious! :lol:

Understood, but that's not a habit you want to get into and then find out that it's a reflex on a bigger bike at greater speed.

think of it as handling a BB gun like an AR15 in the interest of building good habits early.

Good point, but but analogy for Magz... :D

Most the people I know who can ride a wheelie for over 100ft are 1. very naturally balanced and athletic to begin with, 2. using a the rear break to control rollover, and 3. taken years to practice and get over that "I'm going to roll over feeling". Getting that balance point and having good arm strength are important to finding that body position that keeps you centered.

I'm probably at the same point you are for riding a wheelie and am still reliant on the bikes power to initiate and maintain the wheelie. Good riders use body english, can do it sitting or standing and have crashed alot. :lol:

Most the people I know who can ride a wheelie for over 100ft are 1. very naturally balanced and athletic to begin with, 2. using a the rear break to control rollover, and 3. taken years to practice and get over that "I'm going to roll over feeling". Getting that balance point and having good arm strength are important to finding that body position that keeps you centered.

I'm probably at the same point you are for riding a wheelie and am still reliant on the bikes power to initiate and maintain the wheelie. Good riders use body english, can do it sitting or standing and have crashed alot. :lol:

I know a guy that can ride wheelies for miles, and pretty much all of this applies. He 12 o'clocked it hard once, and got hurt pretty badly (before I knew him) so yeah, all the above!

A friend of mine riders his wheelies on his gsxr until the oil pressure light comes on then sets the bike down. The few stunt videos I have seen show a relocated rear brake lever on the handle bar for rear brake control. So the rear brake thing seems like the way the big boys do it.

since you like building stuff, fab up a set of wheelie bars to give you some peace of mind...

i used to be able to wheelie my Huffy all the way down the court, around the corner, and halfway down the street...:fuckyeah:

not sure why I didn't think of that... if i fabbed up a set, and put them just past the balance point, I could bring it up without the fear of looping...

excellent Idea

A friend of mine riders his wheelies on his gsxr until the oil pressure light comes on then sets the bike down. The few stunt videos I have seen show a relocated rear brake lever on the handle bar for rear brake control. So the rear brake thing seems like the way the big boys do it.

I knew a guy that was the same way, he'd ride 10 miles at a time on the rear wheel until he starved his ZX7 once too many and kerploded it. Then he bought a brand new CBR1k and basically wheelied it from the dealers lot. Other guys we'd ride with couldn't wheelie their bikes and bitch "it wont do it, it just wont" then trade Chris bikes and it would be up on one within seconds. Kills me.....I'd ride along side with him doing 80 on one wheel and have zero issues, but we stop at the bank and he dumps it in an oil stain doing 10? Some idiots have all the luck :D

• 9 months later...

I skipped the dirt bike and learned on an R1 so this may be a little different for you because the speed will be different but  It seems to me that the faster you go the easier it is.  You get the gyroscopic effect of the back tire spinning that helps with stability.  

The best tip anyone ever gave me was to concentrate on keeping  your throttle hand smooth.  Not sudden twists on or off the throttle.  It sounds like a minor detail but it helped me go from doing short 25-50 yard wheelies to going half a mile or better in a matter of a couple days.  

Try to bring it up quick to your balance point or very close, then just move the throttle slow and steady to adjust

There used to be a guy in Columbus that had a mobile dyno and a crotch rocket with a rope on the front.  You could practice doing wheelies on the dyno. The rope kept you from flipping over, it was just barely longer than the balance point.  I think the rear axle was attached to the trailer.  I never got a chance to try it but it seemed like a sweet way to practice wheelies without the fear of crashing