Looking for a home for a dog

OsuMj

OK, let me say right away that this dog will do best with a lesbian couple or a man without a super deep voice or very large stature.... *sigh*. UPDATE (12/4/12): She's been doing pretty well around a few different larger men.

She spent the first 18 months of her life in a pound and was probably never properly socialized. She is OK with women and is just completely and totally scared of men in general. When it is just me, she plays, eats, and tries to be the biggest lap dog ever. When Howard is even in the next room, she fixates and stares. I left on a trip for just under 2 weeks and she barely ate the whole time and lost probably 10 lbs.

We got her from a friend whose parents got her from someone else, who got her from craigslist or something, and basically, she has jumped from home to home. They were going to take her back to the pound, so we decided to hang on to her to try to socialize her and put some weight on her because she was very small ~60lbs, and she should really probably be around 90lbs. During this time, we have been looking for a home for her with someone she can feel comfortable with. She has been great with me, learning new tricks like roll over and dance, but like I said, she is terrified of Howard and her quality of life isn't as good as it could be. I would keep her as my dog if I could, but I travel far too much for work/school, and I don't want her to be so miserable while I'm gone.

She has all of her shots. She has an anxiety coat, leash, toys, collar, etc. and has a chip.

If anyone knows someone that is looking for a dog, please let them know about Cora. She is a lab/doberman mix ~2.5 years old.

We're trying to find her a home that she will enjoy so that she doesn't end up in the pound again.

picture.php?albumid=94&pictureid=16549

Edited by OsuMj
  • Upvote 1

:) thanks.

She's a great dog when she's not frozen in fear :-/ for what that's worth. She's very smart and learns quickly. She is trained to walk on the left and does very well on a leash.

Also, she does excellent with other dogs and she ignores cats and other animals completely (no squirrel chasing!).

MUST...RESIST...SENDING...PM...

In all honesty, our family is probably not the best. My dog is an idiot and bull headed so I have to vocalize my displeasure on occasion. so that would probably freak her out? Also she is recovering from ACL surgery. My wife's dog is a Dobe though so Cora probably would get a long.

MUST...RESIST...

How is she with kids and other dogs? have you tried socializing her with other dogs that are comfortable with men so she can learn by example. Also my son is 6 years old and probably will be the next dog whisperer. so wondering if a situation like that would help.

Good luck and please dont send me an email or PM with lots of pictures and sad tales of woe that i could send to to my wife...

MUST...RESIST...SENDING...PM...

In all honesty, our family is probably not the best. My dog is an idiot and bull headed so I have to vocalize my displeasure on occasion. so that would probably freak her out? Also she is recovering from ACL surgery. My wife's dog is a Dobe though so Cora probably would get a long.

MUST...RESIST...

How is she with kids and other dogs? have you tried socializing her with other dogs that are comfortable with men so she can learn by example. Also my son is 6 years old and probably will be the next dog whisperer. so wondering if a situation like that would help.

Good luck and please dont send me an email or PM with lots of pictures and sad tales of woe that i could send to to my wife...

We have had her around a few other dogs, but not for any extended time, pretty much just a day at a time, so probably not long enough for her to learn anything from it.

idk how she is with kids. We had a couple kids around her at a cookout once and she just seemed to ignore them. She's great with other dogs.

I think if you have to yell at your other dog, this would probably send Cora into a nervous fit. She gets scared when I swat flies with the fly swatter.

If I get some time this week, I'll make sure to not spend it putting together cute pics of her with her sad tale. ;)

She really is a good dog. Its just awful how much her personality changes when there is a guy around that she doesn't like. She just seems really smart and happy with her little nub (whats left of her tail) wagging, then suddenly she's shaking in the corner.

soooo.... she's OK around guys that aren't Howie...

keep dog, adopt Howie out to a dog-less female? :D

/free adopt a dog bump

I already told him that he's more adoptable, so he should be the one that goes. :D

She's usually not good with guys in general, but like I said, there have been a few exceptions.

she has general anxiety.

She is a great dog except that she's scared of most guys, some trees, the fly swatter, people opening the door, and some other random stuff.

She's fine with thunderstorms. She doesn't chew on things while you're gone. She doesn't misbehave at all really, she is just scared a lot. When she's scared, you can't get her to listen to your commands, so it can be hard. She gets really fixated on the thing that is scaring her and she just blocks everything else out.

hrm, idk if she would be ok outside. She gets scared of the tree when its windy... and when I let her out by herself, she goes out and immediately comes right back to the door. If I don't let her in right away, she just lingers there.