AT&T hook up? Data plan questions...

Moto-Brian

So, we will be doing the iPhone 5 for myself and my wife will be getting my old iPhone 4. I currently am grandfathered in with my iPhone with unlimited data and unlimited text. I also have a family plan that allows unlimited texting for everyone...

What I want to do is get the iPhone 5, add my wife on a data plan (I am the only one with data) and do the shared data idea. We do not have a MiFi ir similar device with AT&T...

My wife is also a government employee and gets a discount. Just wanted to see if my options were any good or if I should just add data, etc...

It's fairly confusing the way they sell these things anymore. But, unlimited data has been nice, but I am not really using a ton being it is only my phone.

Not sure about all the details, but to keep unlimited data you can't change much about whatever plan that is attached to. So, government discounts and that kind of thing might through you off. ATT can answer these questions pretty clearly though. They have always been good about it for me.

I guess we have the Family 1400 deal and I have unlimited iPhone data. We have unlimited text also. If we do the shared data plan and get 4GB for two of us (I use about 2 GB myself from what they stated), we can do both iPhones, unlimited talk and text and keep the additional lines, etc for about $9 more a month.

I think that's pretty good, but wanted to see if that is really what we should do as I do not want to blow through data. Our Verizon data plan is 20GB and our internet use and video stuff tends to get blown up all the damn time. If I only have 4GB for two phones, not sure if that is enough even though I am showing I do not exceed that...

I kinda just did this. I'm grandfathered in, ordered the 5, was going to hand off my 4. By adding someone right now, we got a free 4. As for the GOV deal, you'll get 17% off your rate plan and discounted accessories. The iPhone plans are pretty locked up. I'm just happy the grandfathered the unlimited data.

Now what I did get while trying to work a deal was free minutes. They are able to add 2000 minutes to your rollover amount. They did this for me, make a mistake and hit the button twice and boom, 4000 minutes. I already had 1800 minutes on there, lol. I don't use the 700 a month I have now, but its a nice gesture.

Brian, are you eligible for an upgrade right now? On VZW you can move eligable upgrades around to different lines under your plan. If you have an upgrade due to you and can move it just put the upgrade under the wife's line and get the 5. Then just switch her phone to your line and your old phone to her line.

BOOM! You keep unlimited data! Check please!

:D

I kinda just did this. I'm grandfathered in, ordered the 5, was going to hand off my 4. By adding someone right now, we got a free 4. As for the GOV deal, you'll get 17% off your rate plan and discounted accessories. The iPhone plans are pretty locked up. I'm just happy the grandfathered the unlimited data.

Now what I did get while trying to work a deal was free minutes. They are able to add 2000 minutes to your rollover amount. They did this for me, make a mistake and hit the button twice and boom, 4000 minutes. I already had 1800 minutes on there, lol. I don't use the 700 a month I have now, but its a nice gesture.

Is there a deal to discuss to get a free 4? If so, I can sell this one on Ebay and recoup...

Brian, are you eligible for an upgrade right now? On VZW you can move eligable upgrades around to different lines under your plan. If you have an upgrade due to you and can move it just put the upgrade under the wife's line and get the 5. Then just switch her phone to your line and your old phone to her line.

BOOM! You keep unlimited data! Check please!

:D

If we can get a free 4 for my wife, I am considering the swap to Verizon. If not, I'd stick with AT&T. The issue is that the AT&T iPhone will not transfer over... Unless they take trade ins!!!