Looking at slug shotguns

speedytriple

Ok so the replacement slug barrel for my 870 is almost as much as a new slug gun. If you were looking for a cheapish field gun what slug gun would you pick? I have been looking at the 870 sps slug gun, and the mossberg slugster. what else is there that would be a good cheap deer gun?

Not really cheapish, but an awesome field/hunting gun was my old Ithaca M37 featherlight - I had it in a 20ga. but there's several gauges available. Used to be a $350-$400 purchase in the 80's but it's now over $1000. Modified choke but was also a slug bbl. Not sure if it was rifled or not.

Edited by Hellmutt
shotgun=gauge, rifles/handguns=caliber :D

Have kilt many a partridge (ruffed grouse) and pheasant with that shotgun. My fav.

Are you Celtic? :D j/k - It is a fabulous gun for sure.

I loved mine, especially with the bottom eject so it can be shared with RH/LH shooters. I may be wrong about the M37 being available in multiple gauges though - may only have been in a 20ga? I didn't know much about them, and got mine as a 13th BDay gift from Dad - it was exceptional at everything from deer/pheasant/squirrel/rabbit/duck hunting, and I shot a lot of trap with it too. Enjoy the pump guns more than O/U or std. dbl bbl's in case you want to take on 3 or more birds at a time.

I do know they came in a 12 ga version. I've got a couple of barrels for mine. One is modified 28" and one is a 26" improved cylinder. The action on the ol 20 is smooth as butter. Never used it with slugs tho, mine was just a bird gun. I always used the Mossburg as my deer slayer. That Mossy was near indestructible too. Had to have it re blued while I re did the stocks because of 'accidents' when out goose/duck hunting with it. Like wearing waders and tripping and falling down with the gun under me on the railroad tracks....lol. Those stones played hell on the ol girl.

Look for a special in Cabelas, Gander, fin, Walmart, tons of sales on right now. Some cheap ass pumps with a slug barrel would be fine. No need for a rifled slug barrel in Ohio and the rifled slugs cost more.

Look for a special in Cabelas, Gander, fin, Walmart, tons of sales on right now. Some cheap ass pumps with a slug barrel would be fine. No need for a rifled slug barrel in Ohio and the rifled slugs cost more.

I disagree 100% with your comment above but please try and explain what you are getting at..

You guys have the rifled vs no rifled slug thing completely back asswards.

You use rifled slugs in a smooth barrel, not a rifled barrel.

You use the non rifled sabbots in a rifled barrel.

If you use rifled slugs in a rifled barrel you have the 2 rifling's fighting each other..

I use the Hornady 300gn FTX rounds and they typically all touch at 100 yards. 150, about 2-3" groups.

The crappy slugs are about 7 inch groups at 150 if that and closer to 5 at 100. May be good enough for you but I want to know my round goes where I put it for a quick and ethical kill.

Edited by flounder

I disagree 100% with your comment above but please try and explain what you are getting at..

Agree, I wote that wrong.

I was getting at sabots and rifled slug barrels cost more and ive been hunting in Ohio for over 23 years and never needed/wanted to make a shot over 75 yards. Most are 10-25 yds, I'm a ninja. Just my preference.

Edited by Gump

Purdy sure.... I looked at it again is why I took it down. it spent a lot of time in someone's closet, cool piece to have in its condition. You'd need a scope mount or a gunsmith for slugs anyway, shoots too high. Needs a taller front beed.

Why not just get the Mossberg 91356 barrel for your 870. $190 or less for a fully rifled barrel with cantilever scope rail built in. You aren't gonna find a gun set up for what you want at that price.

http://www.amazon.com/Mossberg-91356-870-Remington-Barrel/dp/B0002INHO6

(amazons not the cheapest but they have a good picture):D

I started taking my oldest son hunting with me this year. Since i will need a gun for each of us thats why im looking to get a new one. He can use mine with rifled slugs but that leaves me with no gun. Sad as it is i only have one shotgun besides a rossi youth 20 gauge single shot. He will get mine handed down and i get a new one lol.