Re-valving and replacing spring stock shock?

Bad324

I've got some DucRX credit :D and thinking of addressing my suspension on the VFR finally. With me being a fat ass as well as riding 2 up often, I think its time if I can gather the funds

I've come across a guy that specializes in VFR suspensions and does both these services for around $300-$400 which includes whats listed below. My question is this a good route to save a couple hundred bucks as opposed to going to an aftermarket unit like Elka, Penske or Ohlins

Spring (installed)

New spring installed on customer supplied VFR rear shock. Spring rate chosen based on rider weight and type of riding. All springs are linear rate parts which are best for performance applications. Installation includes any required spacers for proper mounting and preload setting.

Revalve (stock shock) -

This revalve replaces the stock internal valving with DMr high-flow parts (same parts as . The main shaft is hand-finished to remove glazing and decrease seal and bushing wear. All internal parts are fully cleaned and the shock is reassembled with the best synthetic fluid. Price does not include the shock itself, a stock VFR shock must be supplied. This is the suggested setup for the average street rider who wants the most improvement for the least amount of money.

your not gonna get the stock shock to perform like a ohlins/racetech/Elka/Penske

i guess is just depends on if the extra money is worth it to you.

for me, if im spending $400, im gonna go the rest of the way and spend the extra and get a quality shock, if i spend $400 and then im not satisfied there is probably no returns on his services lol.

I've had good luck using stock shocks from other bikes (07 GSXR600 shock made a huge improvement on my SFV650 for example) . They can be found dirt cheap on fleabay.

Not that familiar with VFR suspension....it the shock adjustable for compression, rebound, and preload? Do any CBR shocks fit the VFR?

your not gonna get the stock shock to perform like a ohlins/racetech/Elka/Penske

i guess is just depends on if the extra money is worth it to you.

My problem is its in my head that I'll never really outperform an upgraded shock or not be lazy to take advantage of all the adjustments on a nicer one

I've also never ridden anything other than stock suspension so I have no clue what sort of difference it could make.

I'd save the dollars and buy a real nice shock and throw some upgrades in the forks. Talk that Harley riding buddy of yours into spending some coin on his suspension' date=' while you're at it.[/quote']

half the reason I'm being cheap is so I can upgrade the forks at the same time too

I've had good luck using stock shocks from other bikes (07 GSXR600 shock made a huge improvement on my SFV650 for example) . They can be found dirt cheap on fleabay.

Not that familiar with VFR suspension....it the shock adjustable for compression, rebound, and preload? Do any CBR shocks fit the VFR?

Its adjustable to a point but from everything I've read and attempted to understand, due to my weight I'll never actually maximize it.

There are a few options but all require modification and since I'm going to have Pauly do it, I want to minimize the making fun of me and bitching :lol:

I'm pretty sure ones have been used from an F3, 954RR and the Blackbird

Its adjustable to a point but from everything I've read and attempted to understand, due to my weight I'll never actually maximize it.

There are a few options but all require modification and since I'm going to have Pauly do it, I want to minimize the making fun of me and bitching :lol:

I'm pretty sure ones have been used from an F3, 954RR and the Blackbird

I would assume that a CBR shock has a greater range of adjustability than the VFR. Depending on your weight, you may still need to change the spring.

I happen to have a VGC shock from a 98 'CBRF3. I was going to use it to swap the shock on a 919, but sold the bike before I got around to it. I would let it go for a 6pack of Guinness :)

When I was at IMS last, a Racetech rep said that they could replace stock internals and springs with their stuff for about that price, I believe. You are probably better off finding a $20 stock shock on ebay from one of the bikes you mentioned.