01 Monte Carlo fuel pump replacement?

scottb

Friend's car. 2001 Monte carlo. 165K. Car was running fine. Quarter tank of gas. Went to the store. Would not start. I opened fuel door, and the gas cap. Do not hear the fuel pump when the key is turned.

I checked the fuel pump fuse under the hood with a test light, fuse good. I swapped the fuelpump relay with the day time running light relay ( same part number, same fuse box under the hood).

I took the rear seat out but did not see any access cover plate.

Car was towed home to the nieghbor's house.

I did a quick youtube search and the video showed a 2001 monte carlo with the fuel pump access plate inside the trunk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIjBag4XdU4

This looks very easy to replace without dropping the tank. My only concern is the white/clear plastic clips securing the fuel lines. Will those come out easy? I know to be careful with the fuel dripping inside the car once the pump is out.

So, I am crazy for trying to do this at home?

Edited by scottb

Cake walk.

The retaining clips for the lines will break if you're not ginger with them. If they do' date=' most parts houses keep them on the shelf. Honestly, it's not a bad idea to just replace them when you replace the pump.[/quote']

+1 I have never had a connector break on me, but they usually feel like they are going to. I think they are a huge PITA to undo and they don't feel like they seat right when I connect them back up but everything always works out alright (I just like barbs better)

Thanks guys.

I will pick up the clips ( I originally typed magazines, instead of clips, where have I been posting lately) just to have them on hand.

Advance auto has one instock ( Airtek brand, just like in the video) for $249, then if you order on-line and pick up in store, save 15%.