automotive salaries

standout

I'm not going to publicly disclose my hourly rate, but I will say that it's not bad for being new to the dealership (I worked at independent shops before now) but kinda low for my experience and knowledge level. It's been the same for a few years now, since I've changed jobs a couple times, so that's my "fault" for that.

I have all the automotive ASE's that I can get, A1-A9, L1, X1 and I'm pretty far through the GM training, down to the point where most of what I have left is ahnds on at the training centers. I do a little bit of everything. We're a small dealership (6 techs) so most of us do everything. We have one guy that is nothing but new and used car inspections, and one guy on the lube rack, the rest of us do everything else. I probably SHOULD be making more per hour, by about $3-5 but things are pretty slow around here right now, and I'm sure that a raise would probably be out of the question at this time. As it is, I'm able to meet my budget at around 32 hours a week, and typically surpass that, plus I'm less than 5 miles from home. At this point, I'm just doing the best job I can, avoiding comeback potential, and being happy with what I have.

When I wrote service, I carried the S1, P2 and steering & suspension. I figured it looked better to be certified when I presented to customers. Even out of the industry, I'm considering keeping them active, maybe picking up braking.

When I wrote service, I carried the S1, P2 and steering & suspension. I figured it looked better to be certified when I presented to customers. Even out of the industry, I'm considering keeping them active, maybe picking up braking.

For the cost, it's not a bad idea! I've been certified in all the areas since 2000, with the exception of A9 - Light duty diesel, and I got it in the first round that it was offered.

Even out of the industry, I'm considering keeping them active, maybe picking up braking.

Looking at the ASE website you can take recerts regardless of how long they have been expired. I let mine expire in 2004 when I was out of the industry. My resume just reads "previously ASE Master Tech certified."

Looking at the ASE website you can take recerts regardless of how long they have been expired. I let mine expire in 2004 when I was out of the industry. My resume just reads "previously ASE Master Tech certified."

Yeah, I still get the pamphlets from them to certify/recertify. Not sure if I'd ever use them again, but it's kind of nice to have, right? :D

Alan, I was going to post this a while back because Ive been thinking of moving into the industry, and my friends(both own their shops) talked me out of it, unless I bought a shop. They also both said that the ASE thing is junk, and if your shop is making you get it to get a raise, just try to negotiate the best you can with them, like you did with the car/gas. They said just having a job in the industry right now is hard to keep, so being busy is good either way,.

Alan, I was going to post this a while back because Ive been thinking of moving into the industry, and my friends(both own their shops) talked me out of it, unless I bought a shop. They also both said that the ASE thing is junk, and if your shop is making you get it to get a raise, just try to negotiate the best you can with them, like you did with the car/gas. They said just having a job in the industry right now is hard to keep, so being busy is good either way,.

I'd agree the ASE thing is junk, but it's kind of like having a college degree. It may not mean you're smart, or good at your job, or that it's particularly difficult to get (either in terms of difficulty or rarity), but it's an accepted standard. In some cases, it's the first (and sometimes last) question in the interview for an auto technician. Right or wrong, it's the way the game is played. If your company reimburses and is giving you a raise, get as many as you can (I'd stay at about 4 per session). They travel with you wherever you go.

Plus you get a patch. Patches are cool. :D

Didn't know that. So I can go back to being ASE master certified, even though I've been out of the biz since '01? Hmmm:)

Nobama 2012

I work on Semi trucks and medium duty trucks, no certs or any of that...damn internationals keep breaking down so no time to take the tests...and started where I am at in June for $23 an hour. What set me apart is I am good with computers for these trucks. I am the highest paid guy there, and there have been people there for 15-20 years who still only make 18 an hour.

HOWEVER, working on class 8's, it's dogs work. It beats you up, you are constantly dirty and when working on these newer trucks, especially anything made by International, very angry. Two weeks ago I spent the majority of the day wanting to choke out the engineer who designed the 2010 DT/9/10 series engines. Anyways, I am leaving in december to finish up at OSU and get my commission in the military.

Probably because anyone good has been in the field and established long enough they make enough and don't need them.

Also 95% of dealers don't give 2 shits about ASE because manufacturer certa are way more important.

It's really just a scam for money and all it proves is you know how to take a test and remember information and systems of early 90s gm products.