Frame Weld Repair???

donkason

I was pulling apart my Gixxer to get started on winterizing and I noticed this where my engine mount/frame slider sits.

qe9agabe.jpg

ure3upy2.jpg

It looks like the previous crash might have snapped the tab off or bent it and they reinforced it with a weld. This is my first salvage bike so I'm new with frame damage. Is this a safe repair? It seems solid and well done but I'd prefer some opinions.

Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

They built up slag and ground it down. That's a lip where it looks like a crack. It's hard to get in a picture.

It's a pinch bolt on the right so there is space where in pinches together. I'm assuming a pinch bolt was standard on the RHS as the front half, where the bolt head sits, hasn't been welded.

What all does that tab hold? Just the frame slider? If that is it and nothing structural then I'd say it's a safe repair. I would also just remove the frame sliders. In my mind they do more harm than good, and if you lay that bike down on that slider it's probably just gonna break that tab off again.

If you're that concerned have someone xy-glow the weld.

What is an xy glow? It sounds sexy. I might have that done and look into the welder mentioned above if it needs love