How far have you travelled for work?

2fat2fly

I just read Isaac's Papa's thread on international pay and it got me thinking about how far I've travelled for work and I'm curious if anyone else is in the same boat. I'm currently in Everett, Washington and live in Jamestown,Ohio. I have no idea how far that is. I'll figure that out later. How far have you guys travelled?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's see....state side has been Vista, CA. Globally, the farthest was Suzhou in the Jiangsu Province. It's just west of Shanghai.

Do I win!?!? It's not far from half way around the globe in the norther hemisphere.

:D

Edited by r1crusher

I live about 6 minutes away from work....and I specifically moved closer. Figure the more time I'm commuting the less time I have for myself outside of work. I have drove to Pa for a days work though, talk about tiring...3 hours there, full 8 hour day of training people, 3 hours back.

That being said there is a guy who I work with that commutes from Harrisburg Pa every week. My brother in law was commuting from New Orleans to northern Canada two weeks on one week off.

I just read Isaac's Papa's thread on international pay and it got me thinking about how far I've travelled for work and I'm curious if anyone else is in the same boat. I'm currently in Everett, Washington and live in Jamestown,Ohio. I have no idea how far that is. I'll figure that out later. How far have you guys travelled?

Funny, the only place I ever flew for work was Everett, Washington. I was a co-op, went on a couple hours notice, and the company spent more on that 10 day trip than they paid me all summer.

Kapolei, Oahu, Hawaii for 8 days. That was just awful. I will be retiring to that slice of paradise in 11 years, once Jr. graduates from West Point (or wherever he goes). at least that's the plan as it stands now.

For work

Few hours south of Vienna Austria ( squeezed in Vienna, Prague, Bratislava, and Budapest on that trip) about 15 days

Mumbai and Pune India via Frankfurt Germany .. about 15 days between Mumbai and Pune

Furthest would probably be Johannesburg South Africa via a a direct 16.5hr flight out of Atlanta last year. (Deltas longest flight and the 4th longest flight in the world) While there for work, this is where I squeezed in a hunting trip about 4-5 hrs from Johannesburg near Botswana. About 19 days.

I'd say that the service men and woman win though considering their "line of work"

Edited by flounder

I travel the US on a weekly basis. Never been out of the country though. It gets old after awhile.

Now that my department has TRMN8TR, I don't travel much anymore. And since I now support a non-production product, my work trips are planned as much as a week in advance.

Some times while traveling for work, there time to sight-see, but normally not.

Usually fly to someplace, visit the customer, back to hotel and then fly back home next morning.

All my travels have been within the US.

The farthest has been Los Angeles.

Most boring trip, Mountain Home, Idaho. Not much going on there.

Second boring trip, Assumption, IL. No hotel there, only food place was pizza shop inside the Casey General store and gas station.

One trip that I was able to have to sight-see was Ogden Utah, went to the Browning firearms muesem.

Warmest trip, outside of New Orleans, temp was 95 degrees with 90 degree humidity in the plant.

For work

Few hours south of Vienna Austria ( squeezed in Vienna, Prague, Bratislava, and Budapest on that trip) about 15 days

Mumbai and Pune India via Frankfurt Germany .. about 15 days between Mumbai and Pune

Furthest would probably be Johannesburg South Africa via a a direct 16.5hr flight out of Atlanta last year. (Deltas longest flight and the 4th longest flight in the world) While there for work, this is where I squeezed in a hunting trip about 4-5 hrs from Johannesburg near Botswana. About 19 days.

I'd say that the service men and woman win though considering their "line of work"

Pretty sure that beats the 14hr flight from ATL to ICN. Those flights are rough. Waaay too much time on a plane.

Of course thats non-stop civilian (Got lucky on the first flight out and missed the window for the military flight so I got a cushy ride with Delta). Flying military contracted airlines can take way longer.

Edited by BDBGoalie

Pretty sure that beats the 14hr flight from ATL to ICN. Those flights are rough. Waaay too much time on a plane.

I was fortunate enough to be in business class to India and South Africa.

100% lay flay seats/beds. Your own tv with 40-50 movies. built in gaming console with all the popular titles, good food, free drinks, etc.

You board first, get your champagne/drink while everyone else is boarding, get a few more drinks, take off, eat dinner, (typically 3+ courses with multiple dinner options.) watch a movie or 2, fall asleep, every time you wake up, get another drink, eat a bit, watch some movie, and back to sleep. My SA flight seemed pretty damn short considering it was 16.5 hrs :)