How far have you travelled for work?

2fat2fly

I was fortunate enough to be in business class to India and South Africa.

100% lay flay seats/beds. Your own tv with 40-50 movies. built in gaming console with all the popular titles, good food, free drinks, etc.

You board first, get your champagne/drink while everyone else is boarding, get a few more drinks, take off, eat dinner, (typically 3+ courses with multiple dinner options.) watch a movie or 2, fall asleep, every time you wake up, get another drink, eat a bit, watch some movie, and back to sleep. My SA flight seemed pretty damn short considering it was 16.5 hrs :)

Well, I'm jealous. Delta coach has features, but no extra space. Military flights are missing a lot of the features and the space.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah the flight to Japan was from ORD so that was a solid 23 hours straight then another 4 back in to China so those 2 days(add 1.5 to ORD from CMH), was awesome. We were coach, and did NOT get lay flat, nor the extra leg room. Then 4 days after that we spent 20hrs straight on a train, first class, but 4 to a cabin, me and 3 Fugly girls, and that was right about when the piss out my ass hit me. Never used a squatter in Europe before, but in China, where we were, 50% of the shitters were squatters. Squatting, pissing out my ass, and going 60mph on the train all at one time was epic. Oh and they don't have holding tanks on the trains, it simply flies out the bottom. Classy right?

R1, I was in Lanzhou, and Xian provinces, and we traveled as far north as being 1ft from the Tibet border when we visited one monistary, pretty crazy since it was snowing in the mtns there and had been 105deg. in Beijing the week before.

Flight back from Switzerland last Sunday, somehow our status with American Airlines gained us business class, so 6 inches of extra leg room, and we were the last row in the bulkhead so we could stand behind our seats. On the way back from Beijing we upgraded to business economy as well, 6 inches extra leg room is key.

We plan to hit up Australia for our next long flight, but in the mean time thinking Greece would be fun for our short flight. Then back to Switzerland, love that place.

Most flights I've been on if there are any open business/first class seats the move any and all military personnel in uniform up there as soon as the plane is loaded.

Allow me to elaborate. When enough military personnel are traveling to a certain location the military will contract out cheap airlines to fly them all at once. No bumping to first class in those cases. (Mostly seen in PCS to overseas locations and deployments)

Deployments will be a combination of civilian and military planes usually, depending on ground conditions.

However, I have been bumped to first class while traveling in ACUs stateside.

Allow me to elaborate. When enough military personnel are traveling to a certain location the military will contract out cheap airlines to fly them all at once. No bumping to first class in those cases. (Mostly seen in PCS to overseas locations and deployments)

Deployments will be a combination of civilian and military planes usually, depending on ground conditions.

However, I have been bumped to first class while traveling in ACUs stateside.

Thanks for the elaboration. I did understand you previous post though. I should have been clear about when that has happened, which was on non-contracted flights.

I commuted from Richfield to Fort Wayne for 10 days. Almost 400 miles round trip.

That's not including 2 interviews. 1 meet the shop day/ find an apartment. 1 round trip in a Ryder truck.

I was stuck without an apartment for first 2 weeks. 5600 miles in a car in less than 2 weeks plus 400 in a Ryder truck. Never again.

I was fortunate enough to be in business class to India and South Africa.

100% lay flay seats/beds. Your own tv with 40-50 movies. built in gaming console with all the popular titles, good food, free drinks, etc.

You board first, get your champagne/drink while everyone else is boarding, get a few more drinks, take off, eat dinner, (typically 3+ courses with multiple dinner options.) watch a movie or 2, fall asleep, every time you wake up, get another drink, eat a bit, watch some movie, and back to sleep. My SA flight seemed pretty damn short considering it was 16.5 hrs :)

Would you people just hire me already? Jeez, I already work right down the street from you... :)

Flounder's got me beat. :(

Longest was Columbus - Atlanta - LAX - Sydney - Brisbane. LAX to Sydney was about 14.5 hours, in coach. At least Virgin Blue in Australia has hot flight attendants and they allow you to enter and leave the plane from the front AND back entrances.

My travel for work has so far been to Baltimore (3x), Boston (2x), San Francisco (2x), Traverse City, and just in July I got to go to Aalborg, Denmark. I tacked on a nice little vacay to the Norway right after.

I was actually just annoyed with my daily commute though. I live 8 miles from work but it takes me almost an hour to get here, park, and walk to my building.

Would you people just hire me already? Jeez, I already work right down the street from you... :)

Flounder's got me beat. :(

Longest was Columbus - Atlanta - LAX - Sydney - Brisbane. LAX to Sydney was about 14.5 hours, in coach. At least Virgin Blue in Australia has hot flight attendants and they allow you to enter and leave the plane from the front AND back entrances.

Yes, get me your resume and as long as your not adverse to travel lets see if your interested. Lets meet up for coffee this afternoon if you have time. Shoot me a text or pm

My daily commute is about 10 minutes.

In my previous position in my company I travelled quite a bit to Japan and was lucky enough to go to New Zealand once for snow testing.

That was the best trip I've ever been on and I will absolutely go back there some day.

My daily commute is about 10 minutes.

In my previous position in my company I travelled quite a bit to Japan and was lucky enough to go to New Zealand once for snow testing.

That was the best trip I've ever been on and I will absolutely go back there some day.

FUCK YES. I'd love to go to NZ.

Funny story, when I was in Brisbane I went out with Brit, a Kiwi, and a native Aussie. The Kiwi was the only one who couldn't hold his liquor. :)

I have worked as a traveler before, spending the week and coming home at night. Never out of country though. I also worked out of town, driving back and forth daily for over 100 miles one way. Made for a long drive home every evening after working a 10 hr day.

FUCK YES. I'd love to go to NZ.

Funny story, when I was in Brisbane I went out with Brit, a Kiwi, and a native Aussie. The Kiwi was the only one who couldn't hold his liquor. :)

If you can swing it, definitely go. I've never been to a place that was more beautiful, and I think about going back almost every day. I want to rent a BMW GS and ride from the North to the South island and back over the course of a couple of weeks someday.