Chain noise

Brownsfan1

I have a 2007 gxr 1000 with a chain noise. We were out riding this past sat when my friend and I got down on the bikes his chain slapped like it was loose. When we got back to the house he tightened the chain and lubed it. We went riding for bike night last night and I noticed that his chain was making noise like it needed tightened also he said that the bike was surging, so we pulled off the road checked the tension on the chain and it was within spec. Any ideas what could be the cause of the noise and would a missing tooth on the sproket cause the bike to have the surging issue?

Check my thread "something doesn't look right"

:lol:

Thanks when I get home I'll look at it pictures are blocked at work.:mad: Anyway we will probably tear into it tonight to see what is going on with it. The thing that sucks is the Chucktown Shutdown ride is tomorrow.:(

the adjustment marks on swingarm are not a good way to judge a chain. side to side movement tells all! pull chain towards you and if it moves much that way then its done. Either way if it has been riding on a sprocket with teeth or tooth missing it needs replaced.

the adjustment marks on swingarm are not a good way to judge a chain. side to side movement tells all! pull chain towards you and if it moves much that way then its done. Either way if it has been riding on a sprocket with teeth or tooth missing it needs replaced.

Thanks for the info.:)

Chain or sprockets wouldn't explain surging, unless something is having a huge intermittent dragging effect on your drivetrain. Noise could be worn or under-lubed rollers. What kind of lube did he use? Was the chain good and warm when he put it on? Did he leave it set long enough for the solvent to evaporate? Doesn't do much good to lube a cold chain and then go ride and fling it all off.

• Upvote 1

How do you tell if the chain is bad? It is not adjusted out to the max point.

With the chain at proper tension, pull on the chain at 3:00 on the rear sprocket.

It should have no more than 3mm of play. If it does, either the chain or sprockets are worn beyond spec. You could push it to 5mm I you're cheap and on a lower powered bike in less danger of snapping a chain, but for $150, why risk it?

• Upvote 1

First question, is it your bike that has the issue or your friend? The way its worded confused me.

I say if the chain/sprockets conditions are questionable, just replace them. $200 for new equip is cheap when compared to a hospital bill for broken bones or lacerations, not to mention that a broken chain can frag the primary drive case and tail section of the bike if its moving fast enough.

The surging issue may not be chain related, and just be coincidence? Broken teeth would let the chain jump over worn or broken teeth, sort of like Brown57's thread pics - that sprocket was past done man!

Alignment issues if you'd changed the rear tire and reinstalled it poorly. Usually when the rear wheel is in a bind or out of alignment, symptoms can be the rear brake dragging constantly and/or sprockets will have side wear on the teeth and the insides of the chains link plates will show wear or scoring.

• Upvote 1

First question, is it your bike that has the issue or your friend? The way its worded confused me.

I say if the chain/sprockets conditions are questionable, just replace them. $200 for new equip is cheap when compared to a hospital bill for broken bones or lacerations, not to mention that a broken chain can frag the primary drive case and tail section of the bike if its moving fast enough.

The surging issue may not be chain related, and just be coincidence? Broken teeth would let the chain jump over worn or broken teeth, sort of like Brown57's thread pics - that sprocket was past done man!

Alignment issues if you'd changed the rear tire and reinstalled it poorly. Usually when the rear wheel is in a bind or out of alignment, symptoms can be the rear brake dragging constantly and/or sprockets will have side wear on the teeth and the insides of the chains link plates will show wear or scoring.

It is my friends bike. We figured out the problem it was the sprocket, so we replaced the sprocket and chain. The surging problem was clogged injectors. Thanks for the advise and info.:)

Good to hear you guys got it sorted out. Clogged injectors can be cured by adding Wynn's Powercharge to the fuel - this stuff is amazing! Nothing compares whether you race or just ride...

http://www.brocksperformance.com/Wynns-Power-Charge-+I771175+C80.aspx