Unloaded The Ticking Time Bomb of an STS...

magley64

that's neat. soo... what is it? caddy something something v8 something?

2001 Eldorado, crimson pearl.

you traded an old caddy for another old caddy? :wtf:

yes, I traded and old "beat up" sedan caddy with a lifter/valve/rod knock for a year newer and 1/2 the mileage pampered caddy that I will be able to keep nice in my new garage.

I couldn't afford the one I really wanted just yet (since I did just spend most of my money on a house.)

...I couldn't afford the one I really wanted just yet (since I did just spend most of my money on a house.)

soooo, what would you have bought if you could have?

I personally really like the cts coupe, but cannot convince myself I need it...just yet...

Northstar motor in that one?

yep, let's hope it's a good one... (that seems to be the way it goes with these) my 97 had zero issues to 173,000 miles when i totalled it into a GTI. The STS was a 108,000, when it started with the loud ticking.

ehhh, had a caddy years back, so test drove some newer used ones lately. Yep, still nice, but the gas mileage sucks lemons imho. Ended up test driving a '10 Camry XLE. It was every bit as luxurious as the caddy and I'd say the little 4 cyl was so close to being as fast I could hardly tell the diff. When we found out it got nearly 35 mpg, we bought it. Last tank figured at 35.6 mpg. Not bad. Our older '99 Camry is sitting on 280k miles with no issues so figure the new one will last.

Glad about passing on the GM anyway after the bailout thing and knowing where GM has spent much of that money....Brazil to build a huge plant, and in China. Screw GM.

Eldo averages 25-30 mpg depending on how much i get on the freeway.

STS was lucky to break 20, and spent most of it's time at 18 avg.

of course mileage doesn't mean a lot to me now, I'm only 6 miles from work when i move to my new house.

It's still a GM' date=' which makes it a colossal pile of shit... regardless of previous care.

Congrats, Magz. :)[/quote']

Congrats on knowing nothing of cars..

I had a friend whos family only drove Cadillacs and I have never seen people who were harder on cars.

I had a 2002 STS and it was more reliable than my Dads 06 Audi A6. His BMW 323ci before that was a rolling POS..

I have owned GM almost exclusively and they have all been 100% reliable

I'm not delusional... I know that the car is going to have some issues down the road.

The 97 eldorado had it's fair share of problems. The pressurized plastic overflow tank for the coolant grenaded, the plastic coolant tanks on either side of the radiator cracked, the water pump started leaking through the bearing, the alternator went once, as did the air shocks. but all of these were relatively minor issues and pretty quick and cheap to fix once I got the parts.

I feel like I know what to expect with this car, which is half the reason I bought it.

I'm already planning on stocking up on those pieces I've previously mentioned, so when they do decide to fail on this one, I'll already have the parts to fix them.

I need a motor mount and inner tie rod for the CTS. Already have the tie rod just need to install it still need to get the motor mount. I'm just going easy on it till I get the motor mount. Other than that I've had one part replaced and that was the thermostat. My grandfather HS a Cadillac for as long as I an remember. A 90's Deville then a 02-03 STS. I love driving that STS it's a much smoother ride than the CTS but the CTS has a sporty feel to it which I like. Still borrow the STS for those long highway trips though :D

I drove a '10 camry 4banger... It could barely get out of its own way

My wife drove one of the '10 Camry LE's with a 4 cyl and said it was like our old Camry the way it ran. The XLE has a 2.5 that hits 100 pretty damned quick. Huge diff between it and the old Camry for sure.

Do you use that as a determining factor for quality? It has a small engine' date=' that runs flawlessly for 300k miles, but it's slow.. it sucks. :dunno:[/quote']

I think he was just responding to my post about our new Camry being pretty fast. No biggie....