High speed braking

attentiongetter92

Just a quick nooby question. I'm hoping to run at Wilmington next year and am curious what you guys have to say about high speed braking. Anything other then staying smooth? I've never been over 150-160ish and even that was only slowing down to 80-90. Been on my mind today, I know the wind likes to suck riders off their machines.

I've been 170's and smashed fairly hard on the brakes directly after letting off the throttle. Nothing happened out of the ordinary, but odd things can occur when you least expect it. I remember I sat up partially and noticed quite a vacuum at my helmet and shoulders at that speed so I didnt sit all the way up but continued braking down to under 100. I have sat up at 150ish several times, just have a firm grip on the bars, squeeze at the knees on the tank, and you should do fine. Dont be too concerned about being stripped from the bike until you're closer to 190+ and have little grip on the bike. Not sure which event you plan to run, but pm me with your intentions and if I dont run mine but I'm available.....I would gladly come out and help you with whatever I can.

I want to hit at least one of the 4 events next year at OhioMile if not more than one - it will be my first time next season so I expect nothing in advance but to go out there and have fun, just to see what can be done with little mods here and there to my bike. I plan to lower the rear, strap the front, bump up to my drag map, and possibly play with gearing a little bit.

Just a quick nooby question. I'm hoping to run at Wilmington next year and am curious what you guys have to say about high speed braking. Anything other then staying smooth? I've never been over 150-160ish and even that was only slowing down to 80-90. Been on my mind today, I know the wind likes to suck riders off their machines.

I assume you'll be on a full fairing bike. Stay tucked until you get slowed down at least a little bit. Your body acts as a speedbrake (think fighter jets) when you set up. This will help you slow down quicker but if you're not prepared for it you will possibly get blown off the bike. I've sat up once or twice and had my grip on the bars tested at around 130-135mph. I just wasn't thinking and sat up before I gripped harder on the bars for the wind rush. Fortunately I was lucky and stayed on the bike and upright. Before the runs take time to mentally work through what you'll do and when you'll do it so that it is second nature during the run. The wind doesn't suck you off the bike. It hits you in the chest and blows you off the bike.

I want to hit at least one of the 4 events next year at OhioMile if not more than one - it will be my first time next season so I expect nothing in advance but to go out there and have fun, just to see what can be done with little mods here and there to my bike. I plan to lower the rear, strap the front, bump up to my drag map, and possibly play with gearing a little bit.

We need to get together before the next event. I have a stack of sprockets in my garage that I'd be willing to loan you for this. If they'll fit your bike. We just need to size 'em up and see if they'll work for you.

My streetfighter, with no fairing has the ability to blow me off at about 120. Holding myself to the bike becomes a difficult task at 140.. But I also have 0 fairings, so I feel full blunt of the winds power.. Just do as they say, gradually come up once you've slowed a little bit and if it feels too much much then sink back down a little bit.. Don't mash on the brakes at first, start out light to strong.. Too much at first and you lock the front up for just a split second at that speed and your done.

We need to get together before the next event. I have a stack of sprockets in my garage that I'd be willing to loan you for this. If they'll fit your bike. We just need to size 'em up and see if they'll work for you.

Cool! Thanx man, I've got a spare wheelset so I'll pull the hub so we can meet up sometime and check the match. I'm thinking as long as I have a 38, 39, 40, 41 - I should be covered. Brocks stated their 200mph bike ran a 39 rear with stock front, so I'm figuring if I've got the same setup I'll have my best shot. If I can't break the 190's, I could always keep gearing it up a little bit for more power as long as I still have gear left ( in the power range ) at the finish line.