.308 or 30/06?

speedytriple

308 is more than enough for 600-1000+ yards.

338 is overkill for anything under 1200 yards IMO.

No matter what distance you "think" you will be shooting, you'll learn really quick that it takes more than just a rifle to be able to hit your target at 600+ yards. If you cant drive it right, it doesnt matter what caliber it is, you wont be hitting much of anything.

Maybe if we were hunting squirrels with a .50Cal...but long range shooting, no such thing as overkill.

I respectfully disagree.

What will you be shooting with the likes of the .338, and where can you shoot here in Ohio at those distances? Just out of curiosity, wonder why a 30/06 isn't used over a .308 for snipers, I have shot the 30/06 and what a wicked round that is? Buddy of mine says whatever you spend on a "high quality" long distance high power rifle, typically look to spend double the gun price for optics if you are serious.

What will you be shooting with the likes of the .338, and where can you shoot here in Ohio at those distances? Just out of curiosity, wonder why a 30/06 isn't used over a .308 for snipers, I have shot the 30/06 and what a wicked round that is? Buddy of mine says whatever you spend on a "high quality" long distance high power rifle, typically look to spend double the gun price for optics if you are serious.

You can go to Thunder Valley in Kimbolton oh and shoot out to 1 mile.

308 has been used because of availability, barrel life, cost, etc.

When you get into high end or custom rigs, many people definitely spend the same or more on glass than they do on the rifle.

Edited by flounder

If youre seriously looking at doing this. I would suggest staying away from the 338 unless you have deep pockets. Also, you may want to check out the Vortex Razor series of scopes. A bit cheaper but still great are the Vortex Viper PST.

NF is quality optics but I prefer a bit more bang for my buck including more elevation, better reticle, and FFP which some other optics makers have.

The Ruger American has nothing but great reviews in the short time it has been out. Any rifle of this type, and in this lower price range, is going to lose accuracy after a few shots, until the barrel cools. I say that so we can compare apples to apples. What I found was people were regularly able to shoot millimeter groupings with this rifle. The adjustable trigger is a great step, in a rifle at this level. And that level being for hunting and range play.

The .308 Vs 30 06 debate can go back and forth being justified. I choose .308 for availability, pricing, weight of ammo to carry, and capability. Capability between the two calibers is very close. where one has an advantage, the other make up for it some where else. What it came down to for me was, I was willing to give up the very little difference in hit power at a distance with the 30 06.

It comes down to what you prefer. I hope this may have helped in thinking this out.

My set up with a Nikon Monarch

Ruger.jpg

Been looking at this model savage. Model 10 in .308 with a threaded barrel. Gunbroker has it for around $700 that would leave me with around $300 for a scope. I know not enough for a good scope but it is for light range use not serious shooting LOL! This is the one I been looking at.

pix404236030.jpg

In several years of long range shooting, I've seen a ton of 308s and maybe 2 30-06's at the range. In theory, you can get more velocity behind the bullet, and get better ballistics, but unless you want to reload from day 1, its not worth it. There is a lot of match grade 308 there, and the only match grade 30-06 I've seen is old stuff for Garands which wouldn't be comparable.