.308 or 30/06?

speedytriple

Lot's of vermin and varmints in the neighborhood, is there?

I don't see the point of having two rounds so similar, that's all.

I was just throwing that out there is all, the 5.56 would suit me just fine for whatever I would need or want it for. I have places to shoot, and have friends/family with acreage that need groundhogs thinned out. Also would like to do a bit of coyote hunting as well, who knows what else I may end up getting. So how long you plan on keeping whatever rifle you end up with, kinda cool you are getting back to shooting again. In a few more years I will have more funds being freed up, would like to get a nice long distance bolt action rifle "not as nice as what you will be getting Im sure". ;)

Yea, but correct me if I'm wrong, you're an LE sniper now. Most of your stuff is 150-200y and under right?

Per FBI and most L/E policies shot beyond 300y are major no-no's. BUT.... I did'nt lean to shoot long gun as a copper. And I have argued with the Fed guys on this "restiction" and it went round and round a bit. They gripe that you can't have "facial recognition" beyond 300y and I shot back " Did you numb nuts have 'facial recognition' on Vicky Weaver hollding an infant?' ".... Yeah that went over well.... ANYWAY I started my long gun time in Benning class 1-93 as an Infantry sniper, before my USMC and FBI schoolin' after that. I've allways been that guy in LE circles preaching the long shot, even if it it's just for training or "just in case". I've been off the joint task force team for a couple years now and been a deticated "road deputy" but keep my quals up and have the rifle.

Fazer, I was always a bit baffled by the liability issue surrounding handloads. I understand it and at the same time I dont. They will let you use a suppressor which can change your POI +-3" up/down and +-2" LR but they wont let you handload ammo that will give you better accuracy? And if Im not mistaken there are some rules around adjusting triggers as well?

It come down to CYA for the most part. If a factory "Law Enforcent" load fails and something bad happins the powers that be can blame Federal or Winchester or Hornady or who ever if some poor sap got dead becase of a misfire or some such ammo failure. If the parent agency allowed my dumb ass to "load his own" and use it in service they would have to accecpt that liability if my handloads had some type of failure. No LE administator is likely to do that.

As far as cans go, I havent used one but when it comes time to re-barrel ( I'm at just over 1800 rounds) or a new rifle I have thought about looking into a suppressor but I'm going to do my research before I commit to that idea. Again... CYA.

Triggers: My rifle is MINE so way back in the day as an Infantry Bravo4 sniper Remington sent the reps out and showed me how to break "the seal of the god's" and adjust the stock and M21SWS creep adust trigger. Got the good old "Remington Armorer" certificate out of that. So on my rifle I did this. Later, learning of the again, LIABILITY of doing this I swaped out to a Remington Custom Shop 40XB trigger (Thanks to Dan Ross owner D.D. Ross) who also provided me my M40A1 welded 20 MOA scope mount and bottom metal. No wax seals and just a better trigger. :bow: The key to ammo, cans, trigger work is often "documentaion". My rifle, it's service record, my data book and ME are likely to ALL be on the stand in court room if I ever have to use the long rifle to "stop" a bad guy. Kind of a hijack of the thread there but I hope I cleared it up. Be safe guys, and good hunting.