.308 or 30/06?

speedytriple

Been looking at this model savage. Model 10 in .308 with a threaded barrel. Gunbroker has it for around $700 that would leave me with around $300 for a scope. I know not enough for a good scope but it is for light range use not serious shooting LOL! This is the one I been looking at.

pix404236030.jpg

Spend an extra $100 or so and get yourself a Falcon Menace 4-14x or a Viper 6.5-20. Also factor in another $100ish for base/rings, you can get some decent ones in that price range.

The upside to the savage, is that you can upgrade it yourself (including barrel/chambering) as funds allow or if you get more serious.

Been looking at this model savage. Model 10 in .308 with a threaded barrel. Gunbroker has it for around $700 that would leave me with around $300 for a scope. I know not enough for a good scope but it is for light range use not serious shooting LOL! This is the one I been looking at.

pix404236030.jpg

Savage 10 series are nice firearms

Check these guys out for optics. They've got some good deals on optics if you order their paper catalog. It's free.

http://www.countersniperoptics.com/

You better be fucking joking.. Biggest pieces of shit ever to hit the market.. Run really fast away

hv2t6t.jpg

tdrm1.jpg

Edited by flounder

I have never met Tom, so I have no idea what he would/wouldn't recommend.

I was merely stating where to shoot long distance, and that a coworker knows the guy that runs the joint.

For 500-700 yards, I would also go with .308, BUT, 500-700 yards isn't long distance to me. "Long Distance" to me is 1000+ yards.

If you're mainly going to be shooting sub 500 yards with 700 being the absolute max, why not a quality long barreled 5.56? Cheaper match ammo than .308 match.

http://www.impactguns.com/colt-accurized-rifle-24in-cr6724-car15-cr6724.aspx

I have never met Tom, so I have no idea what he would/wouldn't recommend.

I was merely stating where to shoot long distance, and that a coworker knows the guy that runs the joint.

For 500-700 yards, I would also go with .308, BUT, 500-700 yards isn't long distance to me. "Long Distance" to me is 1000+ yards.

If you're mainly going to be shooting sub 500 yards with 700 being the absolute max, why not a quality long barreled 5.56? Cheaper match ammo than .308 match.

http://www.impactguns.com/colt-accurized-rifle-24in-cr6724-car15-cr6724.aspx

500-1000 or 500-1200 is generally considered Long Range. The 1000-2000+ gets categorized as Extreme Long Range

You better be fucking joking.. Biggest pieces of shit ever to hit the market.. Run really fast away

hv2t6t.jpg

tdrm1.jpg

Never used em just told about them awhile back. Was told they are best bang for the buck and good quality. Maybe someone was screwing with me. Are they really bad enough to make unicorns puke rainbows and machine gun shit butterflies?

Never used em just told about them awhile back. Was told they are best bang for the buck and good quality. Maybe someone was screwing with me. Are they really bad enough to make unicorns puke rainbows and machine gun shit butterflies?

Yes, they are universally mocked by anyone who has a clue about optics.

Go kick whoever told you about them squarely in the Dick and de-friend them if it was a girl, then falcon punch is your goto

YES, THAT BAD....

they are about as functional and useful as the testicles of a rabid chimpanzee

Edited by flounder

Mil dot is for mil targets. Enemy soldiers (or simulated) at generally 400 to 600 yards.

If you got some, get a mil-dot reticule scope.

Otherwise, get a decent hunting scope/reticule, or a target scope/reticule.

I like http://www.opticsplanet.com/

edit: and there is an article there about mil-dot and why we don't need it.

What You Need To Know About Rifle Scope Reticles

edit edit: Try finding a mil-dot made for something other than 223 or 308. Won't happen.

Edited by ReconRat

Mil dot is for mil targets. Enemy soldiers (or simulated) at generally 400 to 600 yards.

If you got some, get a mil-dot reticule scope.

Otherwise, get a decent hunting scope/reticule, or a target scope/reticule.

I like http://www.opticsplanet.com/

edit: and there is an article there about mil-dot and why we don't need it.

Wrong. Your premise for mildots is mistaken, also, most "target" reticles used in LR are based upon a MIL or MOA hashed reticle (upgrade to mil dots).

Yes, they are universally mocked by anyone who has a clue about optics.

Well I don't know about optics, so I'm glad I never bought one from them. Although I do have an AR-10 that needs a scope eventually. Never bought one so I'll have to do some more research when I get the cash together. Thanks for saving me guys.

Well I don't know about optics, so I'm glad I never bought one from them. Although I do have an AR-10 that needs a scope eventually. Never bought one so I'll have to do some more research when I get the cash together. Thanks for saving me guys.

Give us a budget and your expected use, and we'll help you find something.

Range would be 500-750

Maybe use it a dozen times a year or less.

Looking to spend around a $1000 for the gun and optics.

Not looking for competition grade stuff just a reliable accurate gun for light use.

Model 10 in .308 with a threaded barrel.

With this being your criteria, either caliber would perform just fine. I personally would opt for .308 for reasons as mentioned already (availability/accessibility $$) and for the short action.

If you were going out west to hunt large/dangerous game and/or wished to shoot 180gr or higher weight bullets,then I would favor the .06

fwiw-I have two Savages (.223/.308) and think for a sub $1k rifle they are hard to beat.

While I am not an 'expert' I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night

• Upvote 1