Leaning in Corners...

ridein

I got that book from the Library before I got my bike. I read it and it explained countersteering so that I understood it. Now that I've been riding, I'm ready to read it again so that I can put the information to use and have a better understanding of what's going on.

Countersteering or no, you're still leaning over when you turn a bike. It's physics. To claim you don't lean when cornering is just dumb. You might countersteer to initiate the turn, but it's not as if you're straight up and down.

Countersteering or no, you're still leaning over when you turn a bike. It's physics. To claim you don't lean when cornering is just dumb. You might countersteer to initiate the turn, but it's not as if you're straight up and down.

You can turn a bike and sit straight up and down its called counter leaning. The bike still turns but the bike needs to lean more and it becomes an unstable ride. Unless your on a dirt bike and then counterleaning is how you turn.

In order to turn a bike (motor or otherwise) the center of gravity of the bike/rider combination has to be on the inside of the turn with respect to the wheel contact patch. However it is possible to turn without leaning the bike if you move the rider to the inside instead.

You shouldn't need to grip the tank or any other part of the bike to remain on the bike through a smoothly executed turn. From the riders perspective the weight of the rider is sit down through the seat of the cycle.

However sportbike riders lean over the tank. The tank grip makes it easier to grip the tank with your knees to take weight off the handlebars. This is true while riding straight or executing a turn.

And as Im sure some will point out executing an aggressive turn requires the rider to move their body to the inside of the turn relative to the bike. Which will change the forces felt by said rider.

Fairly simple physics but misunderstood by many because riding is intutive and it is not necessary to understand to be able to ride.

Craig

I might be going to slow in the corners....and hitting the brakes?

Hitting the brakes in a corner will stand the bike up and make you run wide or push much harder on the handle bars to correct. At most you can ease off the throttle or apply a little trail braking with the rear brake, but I wouldn't recommend it until you get a little more comfortable.

Lets try this, what kind of corners are we talking about and what kind of speeds? Are these 90* turns in the city, sharp turns in the country or freeway cloverleafs, or sweeping turns or interchanges?

one of my favorite people to ride with and can't keep up with is always perfectly parallel to his motorcycle so that he sort of looks like a penguin going through corners. Its hands down the best method

also brake in a corner and your new name will be "ridein the ditch"

Ummm, they are both countersteeting. Countersteering isn't an option, even on a bicycle you countersteer.

Minimal lean, minimal countersteer in both vids.. The first cop vid is pretty much all steering, the second one is pretty much him throwing himself into a lean the entire time. I just close my eyes and pray to make the corners, Jesus don't fail me now :)

Minimal lean, minimal countersteer in both vids.. The first cop vid is pretty much all steering, the second one is pretty much him throwing himself into a lean the entire time. I just close my eyes and pray to make the corners, Jesus don't fail me now :)

You cannot turn a bike by just leaning. Watch the cornering bible on YouTube they explain it and why it looks and feels like the rider is only leaning.

do we really need a 2nd thread of arguing with Exarch about countersteering? I don't give a shit what its called or what peoples theory is...just go out and learn how to take a god damn corner like a man

• Upvote 1