app development

Revelstoker

This could be the start of it:

An open source notification code.

http://code.google.com/p/droid-notify/

Something like using the individual machine as the sending contact.

And announcing if a particular flavor is there.

The code would have to be duplicated for each machine/flavor/or both.

Or subroutines to shorten code.

A website (or the app) that collects the user (and vendor) input for flavors would be necessary.

Sending would be the easy part. Collecting the data would be the harder part.

Not me, I really haven't gotten into Droid/Apple coding yet.

edit: it would be nice if the user could use the app to call up a particular machine and browse the inventory.

Unless the machines are rather smart and web interfaced, reporting the availability of inventory isn't possible.

Edited by ReconRat

might be simpler (more easy?) to set up a Twitter feed...even though I'm not a big Twitter fan.

how often will the flavors change? i love Graeter's ice cream, but wouldn't wanna be bombarded with constant alerts.

We have 5 machines with 2 flavors in each machine. We change at least one machine every day, sometimes more.

The machines are not connected to the internet and we are also not big fans of Twitter.

Issue that we are really after is that our customers have their favorites and want to know when X or Y flavor is available. We can do the Facebook thing and that is more of a pull mechanism. I was thinking of some app that would send an alert to the customers when a flavor they choose to track is a match for the inventory (we would have to update the inventory).

I thought of a more database approach and that is still possible where our loyalty customers could opt in for messaging set favorites. server could cycle and send emails but I thought an App might be more trendy.

Is the flavor change fairly random or is it predetermined? Are you planning on updating the app every time you change a machine's flavor? If you have cards with the flavor names on them you could put identifying RFID chips on the back of specific flavors with receivers on the machines and have everything auto-update. A uC, RFID reader, RJ45 plug and tags on the back of the display cards could make it be a completely stand alone system, updating to twitter with no need for customers to download an app (or open it up, keep it running etc) or worry about employees updating anything.

Then again I have no idea how your shop is run, what your requirements are or what the app market for something like this is (or the twitter market for that matter). I just get carried away sometimes :o

• 1 month later...
Where is your yogurt shop again? Do you sell pints? I planned on stopping by and picking some up on my way home from work

Yes, pre-facked pints and quarts that are frozen solidl. Or, we have pint and quart to-go packaging that you can make you own from the machines. Though, it melts kind of fast.

.5 mile north of I-675 on 48. Kettering/Centerville area.