ZX6R to a ZX10R?

bshultz0930

so here i the thing, over the last couple of years, ive gotten used to my zx6r, and within the last year i have been thinking about upgrading to a zx10r, but i do have a family, and i dont want to hurt myself (that being said i know my life is held by my own twist of the trottle, not the bike itself). i dont stunt but i love speed and corners.. i am 5'8" 150 soaking wet, and im not sure a liter bike would be a good idea.. i was thinking of just getting a newer zx6r thats fuel injected, with a little more power, and testing the ropes with that.. just looking for advice..

a new 600 will outperform your old 600 by leaps and bounds.

nothing against you, but i doubt your even able to outride what you have now.

if you love speed and corners, take the bike to a track day and really see what it can do, and then youll see for yourself that its not the bike thats lacking, its you. Youll gain some very valuable knowledge while your there.

a new 600 will outperform your old 600 by leaps and bounds.

nothing against you, but i doubt your even able to outride what you have now.

if you love speed and corners, take the bike to a track day and really see what it can do, and then youll see for yourself that its not the bike thats lacking, its you. Youll gain some very valuable knowledge while your there.

PERFECT ADVICE... your 00 zx6r will do fine at the track.. even with its added weight.. you will have a new love for your 00 when you track it

• Upvote 1

I went from a 04 zx10r then I realized I would never use that much power then I traded it for a 06 636 and loved the bike but missed the power so I traded that for a 04 yamaha R1 then I was like danm know I know why I got Reid of my zx10r to much to commute around town and I realized again wow it has lots of power and I wouldn't ever use it so I just traded the R1 off 3 months ago for an 08 R6 and I absolutely love the R6 im pretty sure I found my final bike lol

A 600 will get you into the same trouble a 1000 will. I love liter bikes and have never owned a 600. Some people can be responsible and others can't. I say 1 track the shit outta the 600 because the track is a blast. 2 if you can afford a 10 and the insurance with it go for it. People will say you don't need a 1000 for the street they are too powerful for it. Hell you don't need a 600 for the street they'll break pretty much any speed limit in our country in second gear. The new zx10r is geared really high so its low end is nothing to be worried about.

fuel injection is great, but it's not the be all and end all of motorcycling...

What does the OP really want out of riding?

track days and racing totally changed what I want and need out of a street bike. Heck, my next street bike will likely be slower than my last two track bikes...

the 00 ZX6 probably tops out over 140, conservatively. If he wants more grunt, what about dropping a tooth on the front sprocket and going up 2 or 3 on the rear?

That would totally change the character of the bike, for $200 or so...

This

If he wants more grunt, what about dropping a tooth on the front sprocket and going up 2 or 3 on the rear?

That would totally change the character of the bike, for $200 or so...

and this

Take your ZX-6 to the shop and have its carburetors cleaned and tuned. I bet it's faster than you remember.

Then use the other monies to get a suit and buy seat time at Mid-O! ;)

The new Kaw 636 would be PLENTY if you're looking for a major upgrade, insurance will ding you on a new bike but it will be cheaper with less than 749cc vs a liter. Your '00 carbed 6 doesnt run nearly as well as it did years ago and some upgrades for it could prove to be enough to satisfy your power hunger.

The new Kaw 636 would be PLENTY if you're looking for a major upgrade, insurance will ding you on a new bike but it will be cheaper with less than 749cc vs a liter. Your '00 carbed 6 doesnt run nearly as well as it did years ago and some upgrades for it could prove to be enough to satisfy your power hunger.

Yes......I would buy that 636 in a heartbeat if I were in the market for a pure sportbike.

The new zx10Rs are pretty sweet. I don't have any Kawasaki experience but I went from an 03 CBR600RR to an 08 CBR1000RR in 08 & I have absolutely no regrets. If you're going to spend the majority of your time on the track get the 636. If you're going to spend the majority of your time on the street get the 1000. You'll appreciate the extra torque.

It's all about how you ride it. I have never owned an I-4 street bike. When I did a demo ride on an R1, it felt really weird to keep the RPM so low... I was on the highway in 3rd gear, and I didn't know what to do.

On the track, you're always either accelerating or braking. Maintaining speed was just weird, let alone doing it below 4,000 rpm...

Most of the suggestions above have been good.

A modern 600 will completely out perform your current steed on the street.

A 750 will accomplish anything you wish.

I recommend you check insurance before you choose anything! That has determined a few of my purchases, or lack there of.

If you find you have to try a liter bike and have you heart set on a zx-10, I recommend one of the new ones. the older ones have a reputation for having quirky handling.