Fostered dog

Scruit

@scruit: first night in a new place, with new people and new dogs for an abused pup - give him a chance to adjust. besides, you said all his teeth rotted out, so he's gonna gum you to death?

give the poor guy a week to adjust, please. he's (probably) not trying to be difficult, he might be scared, confused, etc.

He still has the big canines - no less capable of harm.

And he is getting worse. Now he growls and snarls whenever I go near his crate. He's learned that aggression is how he gets his way. I don't have the time to invest in fixing this. This was supposed to be an old house-trained dog that is good with kids and just needs a new home.

I've had a rescue dog in the past that was a great pet. I've also had a rescue that was a vicious little shit. We gave him a month before we were just done with it. He was food-aggressive, would randomly snap if he suddenly decided he didn't want you near, would hide in the corner of the room and had no interest in us unless we had food. He never improved and had to go. This dog is showing all the same behaviors, and is getting worse, not better.

Aggressive rescue dogs can often be brought around, but that takes a special kind of training and patience - and that is what the foster home is for. They should evaluate, identify and correct behavior issues, or at least let you know about them so you can make an informed choice when you adopt.

bad owners make bad dogs. Sounds like this little guy's original owners screwed him out of a good home.

It never ceases to amaze me what people will overlook in their pets... a king charles cavalier bit me once, and his owner's response wasn't "are you okay?" it was, "oh, Mac's food aggressive." As if it were my fault for picking up the piece of food I had dropped.

My dogs are very tolerant overall, but we've learned a couple of "triggers" that would get them to react negatively. Those are the things we worked on explicitly so they're NOT an issue with guests. Especially kids.

Try some vinegar in a spray bottle every time he growls. My american bulldog was food aggressive when we first got her at 5 months because the breeder also bred bull mastiffs and the previous owner said they were basically free range dogs so she had to fight for her food she is now 130lbs and my 18lb french bulldog can walk up and eat out of the dish while she is eating and she doesn't even care. The vet was the one that suggested the vinegar and it worked for us might be worth a try.

I just took him outside. Growled as I put the leash on. Came back inside afterward and he went into the wrong crate, chasing out of my other dogs out. I reach in to pull him out and the teeth came out again and he snapped at my hand. I placed the two crates face-to face with the doors open to transfer him back into his own crate and he was having none of it. I finally used a stick (not gonna use my hand) to prod him on the butt to try to coax him back into his own crate - he attacked the stick, bit it wouldn't let go.

Yeah, I'm done with this. He has unresolved problems and is in need to more specialized care and handling than I can provide. He's not just ready to come out of fostering yet.

One he is in a space he feels safe he is extremely aggressive towards people or my other dogs who come near him.

bad owners make bad dogs. Sounds like this little guy's original owners screwed him out of a good home.

It never ceases to amaze me what people will overlook in their pets... a king charles cavalier bit me once, and his owner's response wasn't "are you okay?" it was, "oh, Mac's food aggressive." As if it were my fault for picking up the piece of food I had dropped.

My dogs are very tolerant overall, but we've learned a couple of "triggers" that would get them to react negatively. Those are the things we worked on explicitly so they're NOT an issue with guests. Especially kids.

Our existing two dogs are very passive. I've only ever seen them fight over a new toy, even though we buy one each. They have gotten into it a couple times - landing one of them in the vet hospital one time. It's rare, but whenever we introduce new toys we have to keep an eye out for that.

Seriously look into adopting a Doberman. Hand me down dobes does have a lengthy application but they are really good about making sure people get the right dogs. They do monthly adoption event that you can come in and meet the dogs. If any dog has serious behavior issues they send it to a working prison program where they get assigned to an inmate that works with then 24/7 to get them ready for adoption

The poor little guy went back tonight. He's back with the foster carer who again acknowledged his aggressive tendencies but again stated that he "doesn't mean it" and will stop snarling if you give him what he wants.

Well, I don't blame the dog. I say the dog needs a strong owner who has the time and experience to rehabilitate him and break him of his "if I snarl and snap then I get what I want" mindset. I'm sure he'll make a great pet one day. He's just not ready yet.

They also need to give full disclosure when adopting out dogs with known issues. Had we known he was a snapper then we would never have agreed to take him. If I lived alone I'd work with him - but I don't, and my kid's safety trumps all other things.

Edited by Scruit