A* tech 3 boots

gen3flygirl

• 3 weeks later...
They are MX boots and would be murder using as a street boot...

how so? what's different about them?

I already have a pair of a* smx, so i'm not in the market for new boots, but what protective differences are there from the mx boots to the smx boots?

how so? what's different about them?

I already have a pair of a* smx, so i'm not in the market for new boots, but what protective differences are there from the mx boots to the smx boots?

An explanation of the differences would not impress as much as just trying them on next time you're at a store like IP.

Between sole thickness, ankle restriction, knee-high shin protection, etc they are just heavy, clunky and akward.

as far as a review of the actual boot...

tech3's are excellent beginner/low end MX boot. great comfort and fit (although they do run a bit narrow if you have a wide foot). they wear great, good protection.

as stated above, they're MX boots. they will not work at all on a sport bike, you will not be able to shift. you may not even be able to sit on the bike with your feet on the rearsets. MX boots do NOT (or atleast they try not to) allow ankle movement.

I've had a pair for about a year now. I use them as an offroad boot. These boots are not made in Italy any more but China. They are comfortable but very heavy. Worst feature is the buckling system. I had to take a screwdriver to flip the metal rod out of the clasp to unbuckle. Finally took a dremel and widened the plastic clasp where the metal buckles into. Helped some. I paid $199 and because of the buckling system were not worth that. But for $99 they're worth that.

as stated above, they're MX boots. they will not work at all on a sport bike, you will not be able to shift.

Ummm, just a bit of an overstatement, eh? I agree that MX boots are long on protection and short on walking comfort, but last time I rode off-road in my MX boots, I'm pretty sure I was able to shift just fine. The larger, stiffer and heavier toe box would make for a cramped fit on a street bike, but still doable.

Ummm, just a bit of an overstatement, eh? I agree that MX boots are long on protection and short on walking comfort, but last time I rode off-road in my MX boots, I'm pretty sure I was able to shift just fine. The larger, stiffer and heavier toe box would make for a cramped fit on a street bike, but still doable.

whenever I ride my dirtbike, I find myself standing mostly. I shift and brake more with my hip than my ankle. when I ride my sportbike, I find myself crouched or have the seat weighted mostly, and I shift with my ankle. I dont really know if I could fit on my street bikes with an mx boot, but than again im pretty tall. I also would imagine it tough to ride on the ball of the foot while wearing mx boots on a sportbike.

besides being cumbersome, mx boots may be possible to get on a sportbike with... i'll give you that. I believe it would be wasteful to buy mx boots with the sole intention of sportbike riding.

- Aaron Coomer for president 2016