Racing costs with the OMRL

redkow97

I can tell you riding an xr50 on pavement (dabbled in the minimoto a bit) doesn't seem to translate to much of anything, not even really racecraft - just pure entertainment. Thought about trying a YSR or NSR and am willing to try the XR100 to see if it feels a bit more like actual roadracing. Was actually supposed to be at your last race but failed to wake up in the morning. :o

I will agree... Dirt is great for training... That's why I'm starting my son out on flat track/mx stuff first before he transfers over to pavement. Rear tire movement is what freaks out most new riders.. Get comphy with it in the dirt, you'll be fine and have fun on the pavement

even if i could get fast enough to win on a big bike, I still can't afford enough entry fees to win a championship.

if the fun-factor is all equal, I'm going to focus on the series where I at least have a shot at some success. The OMRL should take away most of my excuses, especially with a low-mod stock class.

I can't blame the bike, I can't blame lack of funds, etc. Scheduling conflicts aside, there's no reason I shouldn't make all 9 rounds and get a realistic picture of how I stack up against everyone else. I'm not so arrogant to think I'll set the world on fire as a noob, but I'd like to be challenging for a podium spot by the end of the season.

Will have 10 rounds this year

Then I need to amend my first post to expand the season budget to approximately $707 :D

(by my math, with fees, transponder rental, insurance, etc., each round costs an average of $70.xx. that's running 2 classes, and assuming only 2 BeaveRun rounds, which are slightly more expenisve, but really a negligible difference when you add everything up...)

even if i could get fast enough to win on a big bike, I still can't afford enough entry fees to win a championship.

if the fun-factor is all equal, I'm going to focus on the series where I at least have a shot at some success. The OMRL should take away most of my excuses, especially with a low-mod stock class.

I can't blame the bike, I can't blame lack of funds, etc. Scheduling conflicts aside, there's no reason I shouldn't make all 9 rounds and get a realistic picture of how I stack up against everyone else. I'm not so arrogant to think I'll set the world on fire as a noob, but I'd like to be challenging for a podium spot by the end of the season.

Your gonna get a run for your money in stock xr. A fee guys are insanely fast. My fastest lap (running mid packish) i was still 2 seconds slower than their fastest lap

It should be a good season! Prepare to be ran off track by me lol!

Bark busters are a good idea btw, i broke levers like crazy last year. Gonna be snaggin some barkbusters or the like for this coming season.

you'll have to catch me first.

but thanks for the tip. I've looked at a couple of bikes, but some of these Craigslist people are beyond frustrating...

they list shit as $700 obo, but then refuse $650. :rolleyes:

instead of making up numbers/guessing, wheelie monster can tell us how much some of his fellow racers who race in the xr100 class(es) spend in a year

oh i mean, fireman_343

Haha.. Wheelie Monster.... That's the squid in me! Lol

Anyway, he's close to the amount I spend. But, I don't even budget it in anymore due to the fact that its just too cheap... I look at it this way.. We race 1 maybe 2 times a month, I'm positive I'd spend more than$ 70 a weekend going out with friends or letting the wife go shopping at Easton. It keeps me out of trouble, and the wife out of the mall (for the most part)

You can run practice with it.. And we also have a Super-Moto class to race in

Cool. Was thinking about selling it since I'm too old to ride mx. My knees can't take the jumps anymore. Probably just run practice for fun. Need to start looking for sumo parts.

Cool. Was thinking about selling it since I'm too old to ride mx. My knees can't take the jumps anymore. Probably just run practice for fun. Need to start looking for sumo parts.

Dude, a few of us have big bikes and we should organize a practice day. You can run anything down at CRP for $15 or whatever. But, we get a few of us on tards and it is a whole lotta fun!!

Dude, a few of us have big bikes and we should organize a practice day. You can run anything down at CRP for $15 or whatever. But, we get a few of us on tards and it is a whole lotta fun!!

Sounds good to me. Let me know when you're going and I'll be there.

• 7 months later...

MID-SEASON BUMP

We're a 7-week break for OMRL, and I've won 1 race, and crashed more times than I can count. Only unanticipated cost so far has been $25 for a folding shift-lever to replace the stocker that I bent beyond use :-P

If anyone is looking to get out and race, I have been seeing a ton of $500 XR's on craigslist, and you could have them track-ready with another $200 in parts (figure front wheel + scooter tires + brake shoes is about $200).

Next round is the 2nd weekend in August, so you'd have time to fully prep a bike if you act soon.

The small bikes are every bit as fun as the big bikes were, and it is way more fun to race every 2 weeks than it was to try and scrape together enough money to race once a month at best! 

With transponder rental, etc. CRP race days cost me $55 for two classes... 

• Upvote 1

Picked up Hoblicks and will be there August, until then getting as much practice as I can. Hoping they are open Thursday the 4th. if so I will be there practicing. Also thinking about loading up and heading there tonight for a couple hours, let me know if any of you are there i would love to get some riding tips from guys that have actually raced.