Leathers for the drag strip?

juicedgxxr

I have a 2pc Teknic suit. I love it. The nice thing about a two piece is you can take the jacket off without having to pull the whole suit off. Great for when you're resting, trying to cool down. Mine zips all the way around the suit, not just the back. I got the jacket and pants on clearance at the Pony for around $200 total. Added boots and gloves for another $100. Not back to be legal at the track.

Speaking of drag racing: You should come to the track day May 2nd.

This may sound 'squid'ish but I've never had a full set of leathers for the strip, and most guys out there just wear nylon jackets with batting gloves. I do wear a leather jacket, gloves and have my Snell 2k helmet, but my other gear are usually long pants and steel toed work boots.

I'm looking at getting a 2pc Teknic suit, but if you're worried about "rules" they seem to be pretty liberal at the track. At least at Norwalk and at National Trails. Just make sure your helmet is Snell, you have gloves, and a jacket (preferrably leather), and long pants.

For safety sake though, get a 2pc - they seem to be the most popular at the track.

This may sound 'squid'ish but I've never had a full set of leathers for the strip, and most guys out there just wear nylon jackets with batting gloves. I do wear a leather jacket, gloves and have my Snell 2k helmet, but my other gear are usually long pants and steel toed work boots.

I'm looking at getting a 2pc Teknic suit, but if you're worried about "rules" they seem to be pretty liberal at the track. At least at Norwalk and at National Trails. Just make sure your helmet is Snell, you have gloves, and a jacket (preferrably leather), and long pants.

For safety sake though, get a 2pc - they seem to be the most popular at the track.

You're must not running faster than 10.00 or trapping more than 120mph. Both Norwalk and Trails will kick you off immediately. The trap speed you can usually get away with a little bit, but definitely not the time.

Yep squid. Someone that can really ride owns a leather suit. Man up homie!:postcop: I guess you think you can ride w/out legs huh? That's funny....I thought you were smart? Guess common sense isn't learned in a BOOK, huh? ;)

You're must not running faster than 10.00 or trapping more than 120mph. Both Norwalk and Trails will kick you off immediately. The trap speed you can usually get away with a little bit, but definitely not the time.

On the Hurricane, my fastest was 11.82 @ 122mph, but normally I was running 11.90's-12.0's @ 117-118mph.

Since I just got the Busa, I only had it out once last year and managed a pathetic 10.53 @ 145mph, and didn't get kicked out. In fact, no one even mentioned anything to me. As much of a squid move that is, there's a guy that runs an intercooled turbo 'busa (blue/white, 2001 I think) on a stock swingarm. I've seen him click off sub-9s passes upwards of 170mph, without full gear. This was at Norwalk - I haven't raced @ Trails since 2003.

And to Nick's comment... yea, I'm working on getting gear. I'll need gear to do any STT or trackdays anyway once I find a dedicated track bike. This is one of the rare times I'm pretty hypocritical. So, "do as I say, not as I do" when it comes to leathers.

Book smarts and common sense usually don't go hand-in-hand -- I'm still trying to strike a balance. :wink:

On the Hurricane, my fastest was 11.82 @ 122mph, but normally I was running 11.90's-12.0's @ 117-118mph.

Since I just got the Busa, I only had it out once last year and managed a pathetic 10.53 @ 145mph, and didn't get kicked out. In fact, no one even mentioned anything to me. As much of a squid move that is, there's a guy that runs an intercooled turbo 'busa (blue/white, 2001 I think) on a stock swingarm. I've seen him click off sub-9s passes upwards of 170mph, without full gear. This was at Norwalk - I haven't raced @ Trails since 2003.

And to Nick's comment... yea, I'm working on getting gear. I'll need gear to do any STT or trackdays anyway once I find a dedicated track bike. This is one of the rare times I'm pretty hypocritical. So, "do as I say, not as I do" when it comes to leathers.

Book smarts and common sense usually don't go hand-in-hand -- I'm still trying to strike a balance. :wink:

Get gear. If you run times like that at Trails you'll get kicked off. Norwalk should've kicked you off for that 145mph trap.

PS: I'm trapping better times on a 10 than you are on a Busa. Keke. :wink:

PS: I'm trapping better times on a 10 than you are on a Busa. Keke. :wink:

Rub it in. I grew up in a racing family and bustin' my balls on my track times hurts to the core. :D Nothing I can't handle though -- gimme time.

I thought I was King Nuts launching the Hurricane after I got my first 60' time under 2.00. For going from 200cc dirtbikes to my first streetbike pushing 1000cc -- I didn't realize how much better it got until I first rode the 'busa.

Give me more than the one evening I had of practice at launching the thing and I'll see if I can't get the trap speed up and the ET down. Just remember, the 'busa is like a couch compared to your ZX. The fastest guys at Norwalk have a pair of black ZX-12s as their bikes of preference, which should say something.

Worst case, nothing a Stage 1 turbo kit from RCC won't fix.

One peice offers superior protection! Most drag racers wear two peice suits. I don't know why. All I know is that when I show up at the drag strip in my one peice raod racing suit everyone looks at me funny!

It is because I'm in a one peice suit, not because I'm funny looking.HA beat you all to that come back!

One peice offers superior protection! Most drag racers wear two peice suits. I don't know why. All I know is that when I show up at the drag strip in my one peice raod racing suit everyone looks at me funny!

It is because I'm in a one peice suit, not because I'm funny looking.HA beat you all to that come back!

No, people look at you funny because you have a girly ass in those leathers.

You can unzip a 1 piece and let it hang off your back just as easily...

:drink:

2 piece JR GPX-Type R suit. $550 and is awesome! I got one.

Also, if you want to get good times, lose that truck tire off the back of your bike. Big tires slow you down in the 1/4 son. ;) That's why choppers sport them.

lol...thats actually not my bike..ill be posting up pics when i get it back fom the shop...