A water bottle that fills itself?

ReconRat

Pulls the moisture right out of the air, and does it fairly quickly.

Namib Desert beetle inspires self-filling water bottle

So, if the technology were combined with an air intake system on a combustion engine, It could max out the humidity in the air charge. That would be a fuel savings, at least in the drier parts of the world. I wonder if it can do that fast enough.

Edited by ReconRat

So, if the technology were combined with an air intake system on a combustion engine, It could max out the humidity in the air charge. That would be a fuel savings, at least in the dryer parts of the world. I wonder if it can do that fast enough.

Have you found some actual study that shows humidity decreases fuel consumption, or is it just old wives' tales and asshats on the internet?

Seems backwards to me.

Nope, it's a fact, think Water/Methanol injection, not just diesels, but all engines. Diesels benefit from cooler EGT temps and cooler recycled air, but in normal gas motors it actually helps burn clean, and less fuel.

It's crazy because I thought the same thing, until I talked to my FIL and he had it on a V8 muscle car and said it was nuts. He now has it on his diesel too and looks like I'll be adding a kit this spring to mine.

Water injection provides a stronger air charge. Think about it - water, by weight, is mostly oxygen, which is what breeds combustion. In a high compression, high heat environment, water breaks down to it's elemental composition, and helps a cleaner burn. The hydrogen doesn't hurt either, but the oxygen/fuel mixture is what really fuels the reaction. Methanol helps fuel it in the same manner.

(This is how internet rumors get started) :D

• Upvote 1

Yeah, air density and % humidity will effect performance.

And some odd factors like cold air is denser,

or air low to the ground is denser,

ram air is denser (need some speed for that), etc.

edit: military piston engines in WW2 would inject mass quantities of water and/or ethanol,

when the pilot got in a jam and wanted a brief increase in horsepower.

Limited to being used twice, and then the engine had to be torn down and inspected.

edit: An increase in supercharger boost was used when this was done.

Edited by ReconRat

Argh.... SAEJ1349 explains the effects of humidity on the fuel air mix. It may or may not increase horsepower (or fuel efficiency). Moisture in the air, displaces the air, part of which is oxygen. Air density technically decreases at high humidity, resulting in less horsepower. The water itself can have other effects, which can increase the efficiency of combustion.

Detonation is suppressed, so timing can change or boost can be increased at that moment.

The fuel-air charge can be cooled prior to the combustion chamber.

The reduction of oxygen can create a rich condition with the high humidity.

edit: Also an interesting drop in temperature as heat is lost in turning water into steam.

So basically results will vary depending on the engine, tune and setup.

And the weather.

Here is a calculator for your amusement:

http://www.csgnetwork.com/relhumhpcalc.html

Watch the horsepower go down as the humidity goes up.

Edited by ReconRat

I wonder what the efficiency of the process is for removing water from air.

I made an approximation of a typical ohio weather condition and estimated that they would have to remove all (taking outside air to 0% humidity) of the water from 1100 cubic feet of air in order to get a half liter... this might be a little off (or really off if i messed up the calc from doing it without thinking a lot), I found quick values of density from the interwebz and eyeballed a psychrometric chart....

Its an interesting idea and I think I'd like to know how the efficiency compares to simply cooling the air and using the water from condensation. - which, by the way, I'm too lazy to figure out why we don't use our AC water condensation to supplement our toilet flushes... maybe not enough water to make it worth the effort of making the plumbing.

They did say they wanted a flow of air past the bottle for at least an hour.

It will vary with temperature also. Very hot air can hold a large amount of water.

They are basing their thoughts on a bug from the hot desert.

I would guess that it would be quite a bit slower in cold weather.

If you've ever used a dehumidifier, the amount of water collected can be quite a bit.

I would rather collect it and use it for the houseplants.