Powered earmuffs.

idodishez

How do they work? Are they better for noise protection? Or just better to allow conversations with them on? Do they create white noise? Or just amplify? Do they need to be turned off when shooting? Or do they automatically cut off with gunshot frequencies/levels?

Nobama 2012

They turn off amplification to block out loud noises. You can have conversations with them on. You can adjust the amplification with a dial so you can hear more than you normally would or less. Basically your gun goes bang and it blocks the noise. I got mine for $20ish from Sportsmansguide.com. Takes a AA battery. I don't believe they offer better hearing protection than other options but they are convienent. Not sure what the NRR is on my cheap pair but i'm guessing the more you pay the higher the rating.

I got a set from caldwell pretty cheap from a site similar to woot but for guns. I love them. mine have a lower profile so they don't get in the way like a lot do when shooting rifles. Like stated above they cancel loud noises but can be used to pick up quieter noises. I took mine to firearms quals about a week ago and I could hear the other guys reloading their m4 magazines with them on. The only issue I've noticed is they can get kind of noisy if there is a head wind and you have the microphone turned on. I just turn them around backwards and that fixes it.