Oil change frequency?

smashweights

Might as well just change it for that kind of money!

I already had changed out the oil that I sent for analysis. I just wanted to make sure that standardizing on a 4k interval was not likely to have any detrimental effects on my engine.

I already had changed out the oil that I sent for analysis. I just wanted to make sure that standardizing on a 4k interval was not likely to have any detrimental effects on my engine.

Most manuals state 6k or more between changes, and to change the filter every other change. The OEM tends to be very much overkill and overly ridiculous when it comes to other things, so if they say the engine is safe at those intervals and filter changes, why should we worry about it? Quality of shifting changes more than anything else, I notice after about 4k that the shifting on my C14 becomes a tad bit notchy......but the oil is still doing its job. And those recommendations are with dino not synthetic.

The manufacturers of our motorcycles have spent thousands if not millions of dollars testing their components under varying stress levels, temperatures, environmental conditions, and even oil types. I'll follow their recommendation over some internet gossip any day. Have had several cars last to 200k miles using nothing more than recommended change intervals and decent oils, I don't expect my motorcycle to be any different.

The manufacturers of our motorcycles have spent thousands if not millions of dollars testing their components under varying stress levels, temperatures, environmental conditions, and even oil types. I'll follow their recommendation over some internet gossip any day....

Wouldn't it be ironic if they really got their info from the internet.

Japanese manufacturers use JASO standards for oil. (Japanese Automotive Standards Organization)

The JASO standard for 4 stroke motorcycles is JASO-MA (or JASO-MA2).

(The new JASO-MA2 is in response to catalytic converters on motorcycles.)

Oils meeting these standards are acceptable by Japanese manufacturers per the owner's manual and service manual.

Since some marking on the containers are confusing, here is the official world-wide JASO list of JASO-MA 4T motorcycle oils that qualify.

A Japanese font package might have to be downloaded to view the document.

http://www.jalos.or.jp/onfile/pdf/4T_EV_LIST.pdf

Shell, Mobil, Amsoil, Harley, etc are missing from the list.

Some haven't been tested, some have failed. No way of knowing which.