Looking for Dayton area CAD guy for occasional jobs

mello dude

Hey - I am an automotive engineer by trade, and am looking for someone to do some moonlite work on design jobs. Need to be able to create the model and process file, and get the file ready to drop to the machine shop for CNC or lazar cutting.

This is an occasional gig, would be extra pocket bucks for you. PM me if interested or if you know anybody that could do this.

---------

btw- wouldnt mind suggestions on Dayton area shops that would be wiiling to work with me.

Makes me wish I had kept up on my SolidWorks skills. What kind of models are you talking, complexity wise? Injection molded, legos, etc.?

Nothing super complicated, mostly motorcycle stuff, worse case would be a triple like this:

BottomRender.jpg

Right now I just have a simple aluminum bracket design to do. A shop would gig me pretty good for the time. I would rather not pay their overhead rate.

I haven't used SW in quite a while and I could more than likely model up whatever he's got in mind. It's like riding a bike, once you learn you never really forget. :)

Hey old man, some of us have up to date skills

I currently use NX(UNIGRAPHICS) for my CAD/CAM needs. Solidworks on occasion and Catia even less. We also have SolutionWare but that is mainly used for Mazatrol progamming transfer and conversion to EIA or Mazak controller types.

Its nice being able to come up with an idea, design it, program it and walk down stairs and machine it. The company i work for is really cool about it. All aluminum drops can be had at scrap prices. For the most part steel is free if you ask. Also they dont mind if you use there machines for your own work if its on your own time.

You used to be able to get any coatings done for free thru our vendors. Laser, hard chrome, anodize and everything else just by putting it on the skid with the rest of the parts that were going out. Most vendors have since priced things by part number instead of by the lot. Now if you want it done its full price.

Right now I just have a simple aluminum bracket design to do. A shop would gig me pretty good for the time. I would rather not pay their overhead rate.

mello dude is great to work with. Knows how to draw a print and leaves no guess work! It was also nice to do something motorcycle related and get out from behind the computer and on a mill.

Now i just need to finish some of my projects that have been sitting around that need machine work.

20thGix did a great job! Professional and fast. Asked me to post some pics so...

Bracketgroup.jpg

Mountedonfender1.jpg

Mountedfen20.jpg

Mountonforks10.jpg

fenderasm2.jpg

2 cent story - I hated the linked brakes on my 5th gen viffer and to ditch them, I used VTR lower fork legs on VFR800 upper tubes. With that, RC51 calipers mount up with minor mods. The VTR fender wont mount up, (VTR triples are narrower) so I did CMM measurements of the VFR and VTR lowers, and designed this adaptor bracket so the VFR fender will fit on the VTR fork lowers. Works out fine. (Probly could stand to hog more material out of it.) Did the original around 5 years ago, and I had several people on viffer forums recently ask if I would make a set for them. - I have a couple extra sets if anybody wants to tackle the job.

Edited by mello dude

Sounds intriguing, but alas my AutoCAD skills sit way back at release 7 and I barely even remember the menu navigation anymore :D You lucky guys and your fancy new programs/modelers

Wow! Back in the DOS days!

The last release I used was 13c4 or 14. The company decided to go to Inventor, which was short lived there, then to Pro/e, which I never got to use. The last I used was some version of inventor, about 8 or so years ago.