Chase Bank , worst service ever

BikerBoy

Working hard to keep my stupid credit score high and in good standing with everybody.

Chase bank banker talked me into starting a credit card " freedom as they call it " , as i never had one before i decided to do it , what the heck , i manage my finances good enough , and wouldn't mind 1-5% back in rewards for 16 months.

started with a specific limit since april , calling them back in October , they actually almost x3 that limit for me , happy i was, traveling to Europe in november i decided not to carry cash and use my card if needed, in the middle of my travel , the card is declined, wtf ..... i have over 2k available on the card, but no go .

Luckily i had my Debit card from a different bank on me , so i used that , came back to the state to find out that Chase bank has CLOSED my credit card account ...... why ??? no reason is giving , if you want a reason you need to mail them a letter requesting an explanation.

my rant is over but i have a question , when the bank closes a credit card, doesn't that show on credit report with negative impact ?

p.s went to chase bank to pay off the credit card, couple of the notes i had had tape on them , chase bank refused to accept the notes and refused to give letter stating that they refused to accept the notes, altho by their words , the notes aren't fake, and they advised me to go to walmart and get a money order with those notes as wallmart would accept them , but the BANK wouldn't....

Banks usually freeze credit cards when they notice unusual activity on them....like charges from a foreign country. You can notify your bank ahead of time that you will be out of.country to prevent this.

^^this

i went to mexico this summer, i called CC's ahead of time to let them know i would be there and for how long. that way they wouldn't freeze my accounts.

Working hard to keep my stupid credit score high and in good standing with everybody.

Chase bank banker talked me into starting a credit card " freedom as they call it " , as i never had one before i decided to do it , what the heck , i manage my finances good enough , and wouldn't mind 1-5% back in rewards for 16 months.

started with a specific limit since april , calling them back in October , they actually almost x3 that limit for me , happy i was, traveling to Europe in november i decided not to carry cash and use my card if needed, in the middle of my travel , the card is declined, wtf ..... i have over 2k available on the card, but no go .

Luckily i had my Debit card from a different bank on me , so i used that , came back to the state to find out that Chase bank has CLOSED my credit card account ...... why ??? no reason is giving , if you want a reason you need to mail them a letter requesting an explanation.

my rant is over but i have a question , when the bank closes a credit card, doesn't that show on credit report with negative impact ?

p.s went to chase bank to pay off the credit card, couple of the notes i had had tape on them , chase bank refused to accept the notes and refused to give letter stating that they refused to accept the notes, altho by their words , the notes aren't fake, and they advised me to go to walmart and get a money order with those notes as wallmart would accept them , but the BANK wouldn't....

+1.. I had a worse experience.. I had fantastic credit, and my neighbor worked at chase and talked me into their credit card because it had the best rewards..I got it and used it a few times and waited for a bill and never came.. So I called and they said I was past due a payment like 2 weeks ago and so I was like WTF i never got a bill.. I said screw it and said I would pay the bill and close the card. I closed the card, and like 6 months later I went to get a home loan and they said my credit score was XXX and I was like WTF it was way higher than that a few months ago.. they said I owed chase bank like 17 cents for 6 months or something.. I was so pissed, that my credit got nailed for owing 17 cents that I never got a bill for.. I tried to call and get them to over turn it, but it was the same BS you had to deal with as far as sending a note snail mail bla bla bull shit.. I was so pissed.. Will never bank or deal with chase bank ever..

I had a Chase account for a minute. They're complete shit.
Roger that.
Affirmative.

Completely agree. Ill go a step further and say ALL big conglomo banks are shit.

Bank One (Chase bought them up) tried to run a bounced check thru 5 times in one day dinking me for $20 each attempt back in the early 90's. I've stayed away ever since.

totally agree. i have accounts at a credit union and its great. Also, they have great awards for using their cards. I have one card that takes the remainder of the dollar and throws it into a 4.8% interest savings account - best deal that I've found.

I was with PNC for 9 years with a great record with them and couldn't get my motorcycle loan (I have good credit and even had a co-signer with good credit too), credit union gave it to me even though I was only with them for maybe 3 months.

Completely agree. Ill go a step further and say ALL big conglomo banks are shit.

Exactly. My philosophy on choosing a bank is simple. If they have enough money to plaster their name all over arena, stadiums, NASCAR cars and shit like that, chances are they are extracting all that income from working stiffs like yourself.

First off, in my extensive international travels I never called my bank to give them a heads up, and I never got a fraud alert on my card either. (AMEX mostly). YMMV on that one.

They are correct in saying that you need to formally request (in writing) a reason for the account closure. The reason for this is two-fold; no one sends out written letters anymore, and that will immediately discourage a sizable majority of people like you, and it's buried deep in the culture of banks to create and maintain a paper trail (mostly, BoA seems to miss this with mortgages from time to time), hence the written correspondence.

Without knowing the reason for the account closure, I can't speculate on whether or not it's going to hit your credit report. I can tell you for a standard inactive account closure (which this probably isn't based on what you're telling us) the only affect it has on your report is adjusting the average age of accounts, and even that accounts for only 15% of your total credit score.

Long story short, something else is going on here. I highly advise going to creditkarma.com and getting a free account, they will run your credit and give you the basic idea of what's happening. There has been a lot of credit companies closing accounts based on your credit history (since they can't just raise interest rates like they used to), so that's also a good possibility.

Exactly. My philosophy on choosing a bank is simple. If they have enough money to plaster their name all over arena, stadiums, NASCAR cars and shit like that, chances are they are extracting all that income from working stiffs like yourself.

First off, in my extensive international travels I never called my bank to give them a heads up, and I never got a fraud alert on my card either. (AMEX mostly). YMMV on that one.

They are correct in saying that you need to formally request (in writing) a reason for the account closure. The reason for this is two-fold; no one sends out written letters anymore, and that will immediately discourage a sizable majority of people like you, and it's buried deep in the culture of banks to create and maintain a paper trail (mostly, BoA seems to miss this with mortgages from time to time), hence the written correspondence.

Without knowing the reason for the account closure, I can't speculate on whether or not it's going to hit your credit report. I can tell you for a standard inactive account closure (which this probably isn't based on what you're telling us) the only affect it has on your report is adjusting the average age of accounts, and even that accounts for only 15% of your total credit score.

Long story short, something else is going on here. I highly advise going to creditkarma.com and getting a free account, they will run your credit and give you the basic idea of what's happening. There has been a lot of credit companies closing accounts based on your credit history (since they can't just raise interest rates like they used to), so that's also a good possibility.

Actually, every CCD company quit placing holds for international travel, kinda works both ways having extensive international travel here as well. Parents had fraud on theirs, I never have. Kind of depends how you look at giving them a heads up. When I went to Switzerland this year, I went ahead and called, all told me they will place a note on the account, but anymore it's rare they put holds on anything anymore.

I agree with Cheech, I'd get a credit pull from one of the many new companies out there, and see what's going on with your credit, sounds like more than you know? Not trying to insult you, just wondering if you may have some fraud on there..?

And no, I am not defending any credit companies or banks as most of you know who I work for. I can tell you I have 0 mortgages, or car loans with my employer who most of you know, but I have my CCD, some investments, and some banking with them, but definitely not the other 2.

I haven't had any bad luck with Chase other than freezing my card for suspicious activity due to me traveling multiple states without letting them know, but totally closing your account without any notice is beyond ridiculous. And since there is obviously a mistake on their part, and they won't make it right for you.....that is messed up and time to move on to a new bank. Have you talked to any of the branch managers face to face, or just talked on the phone? Many times face to face changes things, especially if dealing with the manager.

I haven't had any bad luck with Chase other than freezing my card for suspicious activity due to me traveling multiple states without letting them know, but totally closing your account without any notice is beyond ridiculous.

Again, they don't have to give you a reason, all they have to do is give you notice that your account is closed. This notice comes in the form of a letter, which if you're traveling and not at your billing address you won't receive. There is a provision that they have to disclose to you their reason, but that is upon request.

And since there is obviously a mistake on their part, and they won't make it right for you.....that is messed up and time to move on to a new bank.

Figured that all out from just his side of the story, eh? The only actual error (as far as I can tell from the info provided) here was the part about the bank not taking notes with tape on them. Any bank will swap out currency so long as more than 50% of the bill is mutilated and it's clear that the value of the bill is valid (serial numbers match on both sides, stuff like that). It sounds like someone from Chase was giving him the runaround, which in my experiences with Chase, is pretty much par for the course.

Have you talked to any of the branch managers face to face, or just talked on the phone? Many times face to face changes things, especially if dealing with the manager.

I've dealt with Chase branch management face to face, and they have no problem telling you no to your face just as fast as they tell you no on the phone.

Not trying to insult you, just wondering if you may have some fraud on there..?

Nope , no fraud, never missed a payment, never had a bounced check , only have 1 bank credit card etc etc etc, nothing suspicious on my side......

Chase bank anyway did close my bank account 3 years ago and refused to give a reason as well.

Who and how can you enforce this ?

I know the federal reserve and the federal department of engraving and printing only tells you to send the notes to them and wait between 6- 38 months to get a check back ......

do you know of any bank who would actually do this ?

I've had Chase for 6 years without problem. Cashed well over $500 in rewards through the years. My mortgage is through them. The branch I used to go to when I lived in Ohio was pretty awesome. I always get Christmas cards from the branch hand signed by the employees who work there. I've had my card compromised twice and both times they called me before they froze that particular card to verify it wasn't me making the purchases and within 24 hours had all the money that was spent back into my account and had a new card within 3 days.

Sent via mobile

Nope , no fraud, never missed a payment, never had a bounced check , only have 1 bank credit card etc etc etc, nothing suspicious on my side......

Chase bank anyway did close my bank account 3 years ago and refused to give a reason as well.

Yeah then I definitely have no idea, like I said, wasn't trying to insult you or your credit history. But that is weird.

Hmm, I currently bank with Chase and they have been by far the most fair and reasonable bank I have worked with. I only have a checking and saving account with them but every time I have an issue it has been resolved over the phone. They have pushed through refunds/returns, taken away late fees, etc.

I also banked with 5/3 (horrible) and Key bank. Both had policies to rearrange transactions to promote overdraft and late fees in which i actually got a settlement from 5/3 in a class action lawsuit. 5/3 customer service was horrible and they consistently screwed me on my credit cards.

When I went to Mexico on my honeymoon, Chase gave me no issues at all.

totally agree. i have accounts at a credit union and its great. Also, they have great awards for using their cards. I have one card that takes the remainder of the dollar and throws it into a 4.8% interest savings account - best deal that I've found.

I was with PNC for 9 years with a great record with them and couldn't get my motorcycle loan (I have good credit and even had a co-signer with good credit too), credit union gave it to me even though I was only with them for maybe 3 months.

whoa whoa share with us this place that is offering 4.8% plz k thx

Hmm, I currently bank with Chase and they have been by far the most fair and reasonable bank I have worked with. I only have a checking and saving account with them but every time I have an issue it has been resolved over the phone. They have pushed through refunds/returns, taken away late fees, etc.

+1 I am completely happy with Chase.