Scope??

aforrest4

I have noticed there are some well informed shooters on this forum, and am looking for advise.

I have a Winchester A-bolt 7mm Remington mag that came with a low quality scope. Looking to upgrade the scope.

Interested in best bang for the buck suggestions.

I doubt I will ever try anything over 300 yrds but you never know. :)

I have customers in KS and may hunt out there.

Looking for durable, accurate, and decent in low light (dawn, dusk).

I know now is a good time to buy and there can be quality pieces had for decent prices.

Don't really have a price range. But the less $$ the better. I need to be able to afford tire and gas $$ for hitting the track.

Hopping to hit Jennings in Feb. :)

I have a leupold that was sent to premier for a custom ffp mod years ago that is incredibly nice. I would recommend both leupold, or premier just on my experiences with both of those companies. I was going to sell it as I sold the gun it was on a few years ago, but instead, I ordered a new rifle this week.:D

Leupold or Nikon would be my first thoughts. I really like the last few Nikon's I've bought.

Those were the big names back when I got into hunting years ago. The speed of life has kept me away for many years. Good to see they both are generating quality products. Just wasn't sure if any new players were comparable.

Thanks everyone!

I just picked up a Vortex Viper PST for my ar. The features that it had set the standard for the other scopes that I was contemplating on but in the end, the Vortex seemed to be the best bang for the buck. The PST is beyond your price range but the quality of their scopes is equal, all across their product line. Lifetime warranty too.

7mm is damn flat and had an awesone BC. Alot would depend on how you shoot. Do you use hold off for wind and elevation? Do wou want to dial in dope before you shoot? Either wat the optics mentioned are great. Even the "low end" stuff may work great for you. Look at where its manufactured. Stay way fron the China stuff. US, Germany, UK, alll geat stuff. Great buys are often the "made in Japan" glass. They are often using glass made by Nikon, Minolta, and other high end makers of glass. Try to buy your scope hands on. feel how its made. Good clear glass, that nice sheen of the floride coating on the objective to gain more light, solid "snap" when you click on windage and elevevation. And when you get it, test it. Zero it t you range and spin the rings and return to zero. If it come backs to point of aim being point of impact you have a keeper for that rifle. Good hunting.

I've owned three Vortex scopes, an SWFA Super Sniper, a Leupy Mk 4, and an IOR Valdata. Vortex are the best value for the money out there today. They are made in Japan, but carry a lifetime transferrable warranty. Plenty of reticle and features choices, and has a solid offering at basically every price point. Their customer service is excellent as well.

Went shopping today and came home with a new toy.

Was leaning towards the Leupold, but they were short on stock.

The shop I went to didn't stock Vortex, so Nikon it was.

Went with the Nikon Monarch.

Already have measured and installed the cheek pad, mounted the scope, set eye relief, & leveled it. Now only one more thing to do...... Time to test & adjust it in at the range. Hope I get it done soon!!!

Sorry for the phone pic.

1231vd5.jpg

I do like my Nikons, but also look into some of the Millets. I have personally had good luck with those as well.

Millets are like flipping a coin. You may get an "ok" one that works, or complete shit. Also, the glass in them is definitely sub par.

Either way, Millets are a budget level scope and nowhere near the same level as bushnel, nikon, leupold, vortex, etc. Yes I know bushnel owns millet now but still its a completely separate division and they are not worth the time and hassle imo.

Wait? Did flounder just say that nikon was not complete shit? LOL! ONE day I will own a nice rifle with a nice scope on it. Maybe when my kids are grown and I am old and gray.

Its all about budget and requirements. For the average person/hunter, Nikon is plenty and Nikon has decent glass in some of their models. The thing to remember, is that every person has a different set of requirements and expectations and if the scope meets your expectations/budget, then thats a good scope for you. Just like everything else, the more you get into something the more your requirements/expectations may change. Ive been lucky enough to get to play with and get exposure to almost every scope on the market including the uber expensive ones in the $2k-$3k+ range. The more exposure you get, the more you learn and the more you can start to see the differences in glass quality, tracking, features, construction, etc.

So again, if you are happy with it and it meets your requirements, than thats good for you so go out and enjoy the hell out of it.

• Upvote 1