For the pro-AWBers

dustinsn3485

No they swear to up hold the constitution

Need to read a little farther. "...support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic;that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice."

Before you say "b-b-but officers!", the only part of that oath omitted is the part about obeying orders. The part about "enemies, foreign and domestic" is still there, so by taking up arms against the US, anyone care to guess which one you might be?

The point is anything can be used as a weapon. Drunk driving is illegal, but you dont see the government going all out to ban cars. They arent out there banning alcohol. Knives can be used as deadly weapons, but they arent trying to take away my Ginsu's. The first reported killing in the bible was Cain killing Able with a stone, is the government going to outlaw stones larger than an inch?

If I may indulge in wild speculation, I'd say she's been doing it since they were a young age, because she enjoyed the hobby and to instill respect for the weapon to her children, just as a responsible gun owner would and many on this forum already do. His mental condition may not have developed until he got older, but who knows. I think you're right, we will (or at least, should) hear more about this as things develop.

You could be right. I've wondered that too.

If I had someone living in my house that was mentally unstable...my guns would either be in a more secure safe than they are right now, or removed from the house all together. While we don't know and may never know all the facts. I think the mother could have done more to prevent this situation and should get a lot of the blame.

Edited by Tpoppa

I've thought about the since a young age scenario too. If I had someone living in my house that was mentally unstable...my guns would either be in a more secure safe than they are right now, or removed from the house all together. While we don't know and may never know alll the facts. I think the mother could have done more to prevent this situation and should get a lot of the blame.

That is what ive been bitching about since Friday. She is as much to blame as he is for what happened.

Since when was an AR15 or an AR10 an assault rifle? Neither are capable of full auto fire without some serious upgrades, all of which are strictly enforced and regulated.

Assault weapon: Semi-automatic rifles able to accept detachable magazines and two or more of the following:

Folding or telescoping stock

Pistol grip

Bayonet mount

Flash suppressor, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one

Grenade launcher (more precisely, a muzzle device that enables launching or firing rifle grenades, though this applies only to muzzle mounted grenade launchers and not those mounted externally).

This is the definition from the previous ban in 1994. Yes, a "assault rifle" is a different category than "assault weapon". I think everyone in this thread is speaking about the same thing, even though some of the terms may be used in error.

No, I'm just not afraid of ever being attacked with a gun...

My world is apparently a little more care free than yours.

Neither am I. But as this case shows, there are some fucked up people in the world and its better to be prepared than caught in a situation where you are unable to

And now she's dead by her son's hand. What more do you want?

Shes dead by her sons own hand because of her own inadequacies as a responsible parent and gun owner. If she didnt have her weapons locked up, its as much hers as it is his. If she allowed him to have access to them via having the combination, or leaving the door open, shes as much to blame as him. To punish everyone else who is a responsible owner is like banning the owning of cars because one drunk driver took out a bus full of kids.

Need to read a little farther. "...support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic;that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice."

Before you say "b-b-but officers!", the only part of that oath omitted is the part about obeying orders. The part about "enemies, foreign and domestic" is still there, so by taking up arms against the US, anyone care to guess which one you might be?

according to regulations and uniform code of military justice

last i heard he stole them from his mothers house, they were all registered in her name. The also said 2 days prior he tried to purchase weapons at a few different gun shops and was denied by the background check process. So that proves the current system works. As any criminal will do they will get their weapons via theft or back channels illegally

True about the current system. With him not being of age, he would not have been able to buy a handgun. But unless they came back with a mental illness of other background check no-no he still could have bought a long gun.

I heard he was 24. Is that not correct?

Medical errors,Tobacco, Alcohol and vehicles kill FAR MORE people every yer than firearms.

Go jump on/under/in front of that wagon if you want to save lives.

Thing about those, people are making them safer with each generation. Less deadly...

The opposite is true with guns, with every generation they become more accurate and more deadly than the last.

Thing about those, people are making them safer with each generation. Less deadly...

the best way to make a car less deadly has nothing to do with the design, same can be said about guns. Neither can kill without the user being the problem

person + bullet(s) + gun = murder = ban the gun

person + alcohol + car = murder = not car's fault

what's the common factor in both scenarios above?

@Mr Magley: You've stated numerous times in this thread that the 2nd amendment does not apply to today's realty vis-a-vis taking on the government and its superior firepower. I would point you to the Heller and McDonald SCOTUS decisions.

• Upvote 1

person + bullet(s) + gun = murder = ban the gun

person + alcohol + car = murder = not car's fault

what's the common factor in both scenarios above?

What is the difference between a gun and a car? A car's primary design intent is to convey someone safely from one place to another.

A gun's design intent is to destroy a soft target from a given distance.

@Mr Magley: You've stated numerous times in this thread that the 2nd amendment does not apply to today's realty vis-a-vis taking on the government and its superior firepower. I would point you to the Heller and McDonald SCOTUS decisions.

I'm just talking about the reality of the situation, your government isn't afraid of your gun... It will not stop them from doing something they intend to do, it will not even slow them down, it will not affect their decision making one iota...your gun does not scare them.