powder coating costs vs. DIY

redkow97

the more I get the XR cleaned up and torn down for cleanup and maintenance, the more I want to just strip the frame and paint it.

But powder coat would be better.

2 minutes of internet searching yielded powder coat guns on amazon for $40 (marked down from $180), and a craigslist electric oven would be just about perfect for hanging smaller parts like rearsets, skid plates, etc.

But there's no way I can fit a frame in there.

Any idea how much it would cost to have a frame professionally powder coated?

I can't imagine the oven costing me more than $100, but if the powder itself is expensive, I may be better off just sending away ALL my stuff rather than messing with a DIY setup.

what say the beeb?

I'd be shocked if it wasn't right around $100

Prepare to be shocked.

Wheels go for $75 to $100 each for coating around here (Indy).

Frames are right around $300 for a standard motorcycle frame, single color. Small dirt bikes might be a bit cheaper.

Just the blasting alone, needed prior to powdering, goes for about $50 to $75 for the bike frames.

Prepare to be shocked.

Wheels go for $75 to $100 each for coating around here (Indy).

Frames are right around $300 for a standard motorcycle frame, single color. Small dirt bikes might be a bit cheaper.

Just the blasting alone, needed prior to powdering, goes for about $50 to $75 for the bike frames.

Car wheels as of 2 years ago at the place I mentioned was $25/wheel blasted and coated...

Do it yourself except the frame. I do all my own parts. Anything over the size of a rim i cannot do. IR heat lamps cost too much and i dont want to build an oven in the garage.

After you get a powder coat set up you will have all kinds of things you want PC'ed.

That's cheap! Does it look good?

Yea it looked like a damn fine job if ya ask me! The local car scene was where I was told about them and many, many of them used them in the past. I only had some small parts done and it was with a friends order but it was cheap enough he didn't even ask me for any cash to have them done

Prices from local guy here in Indy.

Prices are for one and two stage powders....

Wheel – Steel or Aluminum 14″ 30.00 45.00

Wheel – Steel or Aluminum 15″ 35.00 55.00

Wheel – Steel or Aluminum 16″ 40.00 60.00

Wheel – Steel or Aluminum 17″ 45.00 70.00

Wheel – Steel or Aluminum 18″ 50.00 75.00

Wheel – Steel or Aluminum 20″ 55.00 85.00

Wheel – Steel or Aluminum 22″ 60.00 90.00

Wheel – Wire Add 25% Add 25%

Prices do NOT include:

Sandblasting

Removal of Bearings & Seals

Cleaning Heavy grease &/or oil

Coarsely Blasted Parts or Frames

I am working on making a sissybar backrest for my ol Kaw. Right now trying to locate some 1/2"-3/4" square rod about 6' long....hehehe not much around me here, but was thinking about having it powdercoated after bending it all up. Does pc'ing hold up good? Or maybe have it chromed?

Saw this thread and figured I'd ask....but first have to locate some steel....lol any suggestions?[

I was quoted $150 for a CR250 frame from Asthetic Finishers here in Piqua, but that was a basic price pending no issues with it. I ended up blasting it myself with a handheld gun w/hopper and a keg compressor but never had it pc'd before selling it off.

After you invest in all it would take to own a setup, you would definitely come out ahead buying equipment for this and future use.

^ that's totally reasonable. I hope people take you up on that.

I'm reconsidering the powder coat though, and will probably just rattle-can the frame, if I even strip it down that much.

I have to keep reminding myself that I got into mini racing to keep costs low. Sinking $120 here, $50 there, etc. into a bike that didn't even cost me $500 just seems kind of dumb...

I'm going to be making mechanical improvements and repairs, but the cosmetics will have to wait, i guess.