this could hurt my wallet

speedytriple

I havent played with it personally but NVD's are one of those things where you really do get what you pay for. And sadly $500 isnt even a drop in the bucket when talking NVD.

My Fenix TK15-S2 400lumen flashlight will easily light up a target out to 100-150 yards so when comparing the cost difference, you can do the math.

Russian Gen1 monocular w/infared, works for me. No zoom though. Good to about 200 yards. FLIR's got my attention. Thermal, and they are coming down is price. Be good for game..

FLIR is the cats ass!!!. We got invited to their private party 2 years ago (about 25people total) at SHOT and got to see their military and Prototype stuff that was coming out. We got to play with it all and all I can say is if I had unlimited funds, I would have one of each. The NV and Thermal stuff they make is #1.

Talk about a kid in a candy store! If you werent a US citizen, you could not even look at the stuff they had brought. :)