Jailed for hidden compartment in Vehicle?

Tomcat0403

This is gonna get interesting. Look at the ~5 pic on this page:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?61169

Turns out the "hidden compartment" is factory, for routing ductwork.

The guy - unless they can prove he USED it - is innocent.

Good catch.

That means nearly every vehicle has a 'hidden compartment' somewhere.

Just going to throw it out there. Title 21 of the United States Code allows for seizures of vehicles used in smuggling illegal persons or contraband. It also allows for vehicles that have been constructed or modified with hidden compartments to be seized even without a charge of smuggling issued against the owner/ operator. Factory voids in the vehicle don't count as hidden compartments unless used as such. A lockbox or safe doesn't count as a hidden compartment unless used to convey illegal contraband.

There was a guy who bought one of those really fast speeds boats. He got inspected by customs and they discovered a hidden secret compartment built into the boat. The owner of the boat informed them of several other hidden compartments on the boat. Due to the several hidden compartments and the amount of power the boat had compared to its size they were able to prove the boats primary purpose was smuggling. They seized his boat and several others built by the company that built his.

That would suck if you bought that car used and then got busted. Unlikely, but possible. Even worse if you never had a conviction, but the dog found the compartment because of residue.

Exactly! Who thinks to look for this when buying a car? When i bought my 78 camaro I messed around with the console a few months later and found that the center piece lifted out. I found a pipe and screens.