Looking for info on my S&W 38 Special

jch82

I was given this gun when my grandpa passed and wanted to find a little bit of info on it. In searching Google for pictures, it looks to be an older Model 36 "Chief's Special"? I am curious to see when it was manufactured and an approximate value and any other info you guys might have.

DSC01427.ARW.jpg

DSC01428.JPG

DSC01429.ARW.jpg

Thanks,

I'll pay $5 more than Blosser.

bastard...:rolleyes: ...tried to +rep, ducking peanut butter rule.

i'm going to guess '65 - Smith started at 401754 in '65 up through 712250 in '68, when they started placing an 'R' at the front of the s/n (federal regulation).

Thanks guys, not in any rush to sell it. I am excited to put a few rounds through it though. I was down to Target World and Point Blank looking at some 9mm's, but both of those ranges are at least 30 minutes away... Would love a range closer to where I live.

Thanks guys, not in any rush to sell it. I am excited to put a few rounds through it though. I was down to Target World and Point Blank looking at some 9mm's, but both of those ranges are at least 30 minutes away... Would love a range closer to where I live.

I would not shoot 9mm through it......... Until after you have his money in hand.

I guess I worded that last one a bit odd... I am excited to put some rounds through the 38, but the closest ranges are a bit of a drive. I was looking at buying a 9mm gun, not 9mm ammo to shoot in the 38. :)

• Upvote 1

Do not buy and fire .38cal +P cartridges through that firearm. Too old if nothing else.

Start with some nice target or round nose stuff.

+1

Personally, I would unload it.... Check it again to make sure it was unloaded and dry-fire it while repeating "why......don't......triggers.......feel......like......this........any......more" with each pull.

Do not buy and fire .38cal +P cartridges through that firearm. Too old if nothing else.

Start with some nice target or round nose stuff.

Thanks for the info, everyone I talked to said the same thing about the +P rounds. I got a box of round nose so that will get me going.

Personally, I would unload it.... Check it again to make sure it was unloaded and dry-fire it while repeating "why......don't......triggers.......feel......like......this........any......more" with each pull.

Lol :cool: