W.I.P. - Work In Progress

bshultz0930

so as some of you know, i chose to take my bike down to the bolts and nuts that hold it together after the wreck, so i decided to start a thread on the progress. as i get further and further ill keep updating. but here's where it stands as of now.

decided with a yellowgold and black paint scheme.

frame, swing arm, and the knuckles on the tree will be power coated black

gas tank, rear tail, and engine will be black.

the removable covers, the levers, and gas tank cap will be yellowgold.

im still trying to find yellow coolant tubes, but its not promising.

i ordered a bucket light and fork brackets for the light.

moving my IGN switch to a different spot and mounting a custom gauge bracket there so the gauges will be more forward.

and in these pictures.. found paint stripper, makes getting rid of paint sooooo much easier then sitting there with a scotch bright.

image_zpsfb665276.jpeg

image_1_zps643074c3.jpeg

image_2_zpsf96277b4.jpeg

and this is before i took the forks off to bring them into work with me.. but engine and all thats still there

image_3_zpsd014f99c.jpeg

Going for a streetfighter build? Be cool to see when its done. And, if by coolant "tubes" you mean hoses, just find some large diameter wire loom or corrugated pipe sleeve in whatever color you want. Just be sure to buy something that would tolerate the heat ( +/- 240 degrees minimum ) and buy the right size, if its loose it could wear holes into your hoses. I've seen anodized aluminum pipe sleeve on some custom cars, looked pretty trick. Not sure where it was bought, but let google be your friend and check out custom accessory suppliers. Good luck on the build!

Be sure to use something awesome for the coolant overflow container. It's a chance to make a totally mundane and usually hidden part of your bike stand out. If I were to streetfighter my tl I would probably use this flat black aluminum jagermeister canteen I got free with purchase some time ago, but anything unique does the trick. Looking forward to seeing the evolution.

yea, ive been working on a coolant overflow tank for a bit now.. just trying to make sure its what i want to put on it.. im not sure how good it will look having an aluminum beer bottle on the bike when i pass a cop.. i think its just asking for a reason to pull me over.

• 2 months later...

and for a long needed update. new tail fairing, gas tank, and front fender are all painted by my father and i, doesnt look like a $1000 paint job, but we had a good 12 hours doing it and had a blast hanging out with each other, that mattered more to me then anything. bikes officially tore down. motor is sitting on a stand and the frame, sub frame, and swing arm are all sitting in my car ready to be taken to the sand blasting. directly after they get sand blasted they will go to the fab shop to be welded and powder coated. all the parts i need are ordered and are being shipped. ill get some more pictures up later. but its been one step at a time.

edit:: most of the bike will be black, with a couple yellow items on it here and there. went for a yellow black look, i like the idea thats in my head, but ill see what it comes out like.

Edited by bshultz0930

• 3 weeks later...

well i got my kids to bed last night and went straight out to the garage. got the frame and random parts back from powder coat. painted what i couldnt get powered. started to assemble the ass end. this is as far as i got. tonight ill get the front back together and get her standing on her own again.

IMG_0993_zpsd4ac9cd7.jpgIMG_0994_zpse3b4bd86.jpgIMG_0995_zps0fb0f8bc.jpgIMG_0997_zps70221d07.jpg

Well, it's most of the way back together. Fired her up for the first time tonight, but with no coolant, so it was very momentary. But so far it looks really good. Lots I little bolts left over.. Oh well. Lighter is faster right?! A little more wiring up front left to be done and some other minor things. But I'm whooped. I think tonight makes about 25 hours since Thursday night I've spent putting this thing together.

And no more pictures until I roll her out for a test drive.