Help me with life

Bitani

I guess I am a minority of the guys that got into the industry and it is my passion as well as my hobby. Being it is also my job, I've never once felt it burn me out. I've been in the industry as an insider type for 14 years. I was working as a shop employee for about 6 years. Went to school with the idea of Industrial Design and working in the car or motorcycle industry. That fell apart. But, got in, grew and it is certainly my lifestyle, my passion, and is part of our family structure. No burning out in sight...

My personal opinion being in the industry? Get a degree. But, understand that experience can substitute for education also. Guys coming from MMI aren't always the best choice and several shops are shying away from the place. The fact is that right out of school with an education is great, but if you have a kid that is green or a veteran that has 15 years experience, experience will win. Green guys tend to burn out quick, have issues such as schedule and work ethic, etc. they've never been in a high level shop that is pumping at full tilt all season long.

Get a degree. But, try and align yourself with a race team or get out there and start snooping. I know Indy Car and NASCAR teams employee engineers a ton. AMA road race and mx/sx teams as well. Get started by trying to get in on the ground floor while going to school. That growth while getting your education allows you to have experience even before you get a degree.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do not make your hobby your work. You will enjoy the hobby more if you keep the two seperate.

Trust me. :)

I disagree. I work with networking devices all day, and if I didn't have the contacts and support that I have from making network administration my career, then I wouldn't have the resources to learn and play on the stuff that I get to play on all day. I may be in the minority of people loving their hobby so much that I don't mind (usually) doing it on a daily basis, but that's my take on things.

+1 on mechanical engineering. I know its not super common, but places like OSU have teams that you can join, like the electric motorcycle team, and if you do well and enjoy it, you can make a lot of contacts from industry and be set up for a good job. The nice thing about mechanical engineering is that it is so broad that you can work on a lot of different things - I'm getting my phd in mech eng and I am currently designing materials, but I've also dabbled in hvac and laboratory design, and have had opportunities to design solutions in 3rd world situations (rain water collection for animals, cooling solution for kitchen at an orphanage, etc).

Anyway, if you're still on the fence, you could start electrical and decide after your first year, because, really your first year is almost the same no matter what engineering you choose. intro math, physics, chemistry and GECs.

Truf right there. EE's or MechE's can get their tentacles into a lot of different things.

I'll add my two cents as well to this: Despite what your "guidance" counselors tell you, despite what your parents or teachers tell you, there are other options than to bury yourself in debt and going to a 4-year college. If there's a local community college and your credits transfer, then for fuck's sake, take all your bullshit core classes there. If, in the course of doing so, you think that college may not be for you, there are always trade schools or other options. I lasted 2 years (98-99 and 2001 spring/summer) before I failed out of college, going for a Computer Science degree. I paid a LOT of dues for about 5-6 years before I really hit it big, but I do pretty well for myself now. All I'm saying is college isn't for everyone, and experience/personal networking trumps a piece of paper more often than you think. If you don't think it's for you, and you end up plowing through college anyway, all those loans you signed aren't going to pay for themselves, and getting rid of them is next to impossible.

My personal opinion being in the industry? Get a degree. But, understand that experience can substitute for education also. Guys coming from MMI aren't always the best choice and several shops are shying away from the place. The fact is that right out of school with an education is great, but if you have a kid that is green or a veteran that has 15 years experience, experience will win. Green guys tend to burn out quick, have issues such as schedule and work ethic, etc. they've never been in a high level shop that is pumping at full tilt all season long.

Speaking from my IT background, this is true for us as well. I've worked with people that went to places like DeVry, and they were kinda hit or miss. I've also had a few from ITT, and they were almost universally useless.

A related piece of life-path advice: make an internship a part of your education plans. EVERY one of my college peers who sucked it up working for free for an organization have had very successful careers. Those who impatiently found "a job" have worked at many "just 'a' jobs". Seriously.

A related piece of life-path advice: make an internship a part of your education plans. EVERY one of my college peers who sucked it up working for free for an organization have had very successful careers. Those who impatiently found "a job" have worked at many "just 'a' jobs". Seriously.

+1, though most engineering internships are paid really well ... its hard to go back to school after you've had a regular income for 3-6 months. Its a lot easier to get hired to your next internship and a full time job when you've already had job experience. Also, making contacts in industry is SO important.

the ratio of not hot to hot was easily 5:1

However, the ratio of a "6 beer bang" to a "12+ beer bang" was 3:1

All of the hotties were up the road at Miami with me. Of course none if them were actually "with" me, but I got to look at them.

Meh Cincinnati chicks are largely ugly I unfortunately came to find out. Main reason was I could keep my car as a freshmen and in a garage as a freshman

I'm mainly looking at UK right now. The motorcycling roads are amazing down there and it LOOKS like they're the most likely to give me lots of $$$. They contacted me to ask if I wanted to be in the Honors Program (after I already hit no on the app) and have been sending me shit since 7th/8th grade. :wtf:

But I couldn't care less about bringing my car. I'm finding a place for my bike! (At the very least I'll be renting a storage unit.)

Chicks dig bikes. :rolleyes:

And if I hadn't said anything before, thanks for all the replies all! Posted this up on 3 forums, and it really has helped my decision-making! :)

TC, good luck in your decision making but I would like to stress getting your Engineering degree while you're young and definitely seek out opportunities in the industry that attracts you the most but keep your options open for other opportunities that you might not be looking for right now.

I'm also trying to find a way to return to college and finish my Engineering Technology degree beyond the A.A.S level at 48 years old even though I have a very good job with a solid company. My search for a place to return to college has brought me to Stark State College locally and as far away as North Idaho College and Washington State University for their Engineering programs.

Edited by baptizo

I'm mainly looking at UK right now. The motorcycling roads are amazing down there and it LOOKS like they're the most likely to give me lots of $$$. They contacted me to ask if I wanted to be in the Honors Program (after I already hit no on the app) and have been sending me shit since 7th/8th grade. :wtf:

But I couldn't care less about bringing my car. I'm finding a place for my bike! (At the very least I'll be renting a storage unit.)

Chicks dig bikes. :rolleyes:

And if I hadn't said anything before, thanks for all the replies all! Posted this up on 3 forums, and it really has helped my decision-making! :)

If you're being hit up for the honors program, you'll probably have some decent scholarships. I don't know about your scholarship situation, but you're probably looking at a hefty out of state tuition if you don't have a full ride... keep in mind that, most of your scholarships will end after the end of the 4th year, and if you don't become a resident of the state, you'll still have that large out of state tuition. Losing scholarships was a shock to a few of my engineering friends who didn't think about that ahead of time. Most people take 5 years to get through the program. I escaped with 4 1/2 years with a math minor and 2 years of a running internship, but I didn't sleep a lot either and didn't drink at all for my first 3 years. I also had scholarships that covered my first 2 years almost completely, but the last few years were only partially covered, and my last 2 quarters were not covered at all because I fell past the 12 quarter mark (luckily i was prepared).

Along with that, I did the honors program too, and to be honest, found that it did not benefit me at all except for the first year program and it got me earlier scheduling. You should check to see if there are any perks like that, and if there are, its totally worth it because its really easy to get your schedule screwed up and put you back a quarter because classes fill up quickly.

If you're being hit up for the honors program, you'll probably have some decent scholarships. I don't know about your scholarship situation, but you're probably looking at a hefty out of state tuition if you don't have a full ride... keep in mind that, most of your scholarships will end after the end of the 4th year, and if you don't become a resident of the state, you'll still have that large out of state tuition. Losing scholarships was a shock to a few of my engineering friends who didn't think about that ahead of time. Most people take 5 years to get through the program. I escaped with 4 1/2 years with a math minor and 2 years of a running internship, but I didn't sleep a lot either and didn't drink at all for my first 3 years. I also had scholarships that covered my first 2 years almost completely, but the last few years were only partially covered, and my last 2 quarters were not covered at all because I fell past the 12 quarter mark (luckily i was prepared).

Along with that, I did the honors program too, and to be honest, found that it did not benefit me at all except for the first year program and it got me earlier scheduling. You should check to see if there are any perks like that, and if there are, its totally worth it because its really easy to get your schedule screwed up and put you back a quarter because classes fill up quickly.

Silly MJ, no one uses quarters but you :)

Yeah, definitely hoping for some nice scholarships. Was pumped to get a 34 on the ACT, so hopefully that helps! Though my GPA's only 3.5 - slacked freshman and sophomore years. UK looks like it's $33,000 normal out-of-state for both room and board.

If UC offers me a full ride is when I'd be considering them.

I figured the Honors Programs might not be THAT much of a difference, but there might be perks like you described. So thanks for that heads-up!

Silly MJ, no one uses quarters but you :)

Sinclair just switched to semesters this year! (Doing PSEO at the high school. High school and college creds at once. Whoop whoop)

The worst thing Cinci ever did was move from Quarters to Semesters

I don't really understand why people don't like semesters so much. Explain?

It would suck if you were in school during the switch, but realistically it seems like actual time spent in school and cost stays the same.

I don't really understand why people don't like semesters so much. Explain?

It would suck if you were in school during the switch, but realistically it seems like actual time spent in school and cost stays the same.

I personally had about an 8-week attention span for any one subject in college. With 10-week quarters, that meant that about the time I stopped giving a shit all I had to do was take a final. With 16-week semesters, I just didn't want to be there anymore about half way through. YMMV.

Dayton Ohio is tooling. Tooling? How do you make tooling these days? Like my job programming setting up operating CNC equipment. . . In my career the guys with "engineering degrees" don't actually do anything productive with motor skills, those guys sit behind computers and wish things could be as they were taught that they could be. . In the real world though toolmakers actually make the stuff. . . With that said, in my 27 yr career as a toolmaker, I've been involved in automotive, military (US Navy Missil ignition cables), beverage containers (BEER!!) orthopedic implants, 50 cal machine fun stuff, 30 cal machine gun, Hummer stuff, fuel injection, air conditioning, radiator, catylitic converter, fuel tanks on and on .... Not motorcycle, but lots of very interesting stuff.... Someone has had to draw the blue prints (CAD) that us toolmakers work off of...

I should add that I've know since I was in the 8th grade that I wanted to be where I am today, well over 30 years ago I made decision to be top dollar toolmaker, thanks to the influence from my Father (RIP) who was a 33 yr retired General Motors employee, Dad was a machine operator at Delco Moraine. I've been mechanically inclined since a young age, learned how to read micrometers at around the age of 10 years old. . . . There's a huge personal satisfaction by being able to create tight tolerance tooling, most guys can not, this career is still interesting to my intelligence, still challenging my skills, pays good enough, not wealthy but not scrounging either. . . I work long hours. My whole career, LOTS of hours - for instance I will have 52 hrs at 6am, and we had two nights off for Christmas... .... I've spent my career taking on the work that nobody wanted to do, for whatever reason, tight tolerance? Shitty work? Whatever ... Get good at doing the stuff nobody wants to do .

I personally had about an 8-week attention span for any one subject in college. With 10-week quarters, that meant that about the time I stopped giving a shit all I had to do was take a final. With 16-week semesters, I just didn't want to be there anymore about half way through. YMMV.

This

If a class sucked, you only had to deal with it for half the amount of time than a Semester. Quarters also benefitted the oldest and best Co-Op program in the Country

This

If a class sucked, you only had to deal with it for half the amount of time than a Semester. Quarters also benefitted the oldest and best Co-Op program in the Country

Exactly, and you dont have to study for as many classes at once.