Gun Free Zone = Soft Target - They will never learn

Scruit

i believe we're on the same side here, but...

if i were carrying in church and shot a dude, i'd first have to prove that i had permission from the preist/pastor to do so, otherwise i'm in violation of at least one of Ohio's laws. Assuming the dude i just offed was a "bad guy", and meant to do harm, i probably wouldn't get charged, but still...

same bad guy w/knife, same me but this time with a knife, and we're out on the public sidewalk in front of the church, i DO NOT need to explain why i didn't kung-fu-judo-chop-mace-taze him into submission.

it seems you've alluded to being some sort of LEO (fed, local, don't know, doesn't matter), so if you are, and as part of your duties have to use force, then yes, you have to explain it. different standards.

on the other hand, as a civilian resident of Ohio, i don't have to explain anything as long as what i did passes the "imminent grave bodily injury or death" test. Part of Ohio's "Castle Doctrine" assortment of gun laws. No duty to retreat, no duty to use less-lethal means.

By your thinking, Bruce Lee (assuming he were alive and a resident of Ohio) would never be able to use a gun in defense of self/other, since we all know he could take on 10-15 armed dudes with his bare hands/feet and whoop 'em all.

Again, not <really> arguing with you, but trying to clarify a civilian's rights under Ohio's laws.

I you kill someone be ready to explain why that was the best option. You will talk to an investigator and possibly even a prosecutor. Even if you shoot and miss then the guy gives up your going to need to answer for it. I do know that the standards for LEOs are much more strict than civilian standards but just having a CHL doesn't mean you can go wyatt earp on some bad guys w/o explaining why. Then there's also civil court where the persons family comes in and paints the bad guy like an angel who'd never hurt anyone. Their attorney is going to point out all the specialized knowledge and tools you have. You will need to explain all your choices. I'm not saying you will be wrong I'm just pointing out that you will have to prove that you were right. It's similar to if someone breaks into your barn and gets severely injured falling on some equipment. In todays world you'd be taken to court and have to explain why your dangerous equipment was there and that it was not there as a trap.

If the time comes do it to it but never shoot to kill shoot to stop.

A CFZ is what the bad guys and crazy people want to target. The options are as follows: Don't ever go into a CFZ "which is impossible in some cases", go to the CFZ and don't carry a weapon, or go to a CFZ and carry a weapon. There are potential and obvious repercussions for any of these choices, and I "believe" that only on duty law enforcement can carry in those zones as well. The repercussions are felonies, jail time, loss of license, mass shootings, murders, injuries and utter chaos. Doing the right thing and the lawful thing isn't always the right decision, but once again, there are repercussions.

It depends on the branch of law enforcement on when and where they can carry. Some basically just have to follow the CHL laws while off duty while others can carry just about anywhere any time.