Active Shooter Response/Preparedness Seminar

Coyote

If I am overstepping my bounds here, Casper, let me know and I'll edit this post...

If anyone here in the Columbus area has any interest in doing a Krav Maga intro class let me know via pm. There is normally a fee ($19), but I'll get it waived for an OR member.

Again, this is just for the intro class. The Active Killer Response Seminar is absolutely free.

I would.

• 2 weeks later...
Who else was there? I was "the guy with the accent".

Coyote - were you there?

Oh, good...that wasn't an speech impediment, then..! (JK)

Yup. Was there today- more physically than mentally, though. Lurked among the instructors and coached with the least experienced bunch.

Was a bit different from the one last month. Hope you got something worthwhile from it.

Oh, good...that wasn't an speech impediment, then..! (JK)

Yup. Was there today- more physically than mentally, though. Lurked among the instructors and coached with the least experienced bunch.

Was a bit different from the one last month. Hope you got something worthwhile from it.

Definitely got something worthwhile. It was nice to see how much commonality there was between the Krav techniques and Shorin Ryu. The choke escape, for example. I was talking with Marcus about using a shorin ryu hand-feeding-hand move with tai sabaki to gain control of the shotgun muzzle, and also stealing his center of balance. He asked me to talk to him more about it after class because he had more precise feedback for me, but I couldn't find him at kicking out time.

Did you see the drill where I was the gunman? I had to pretend to be an irate car buyer confronting a salesman at an auto dealer. When I marched in and started yelling NOBODY did anything until I had marched clear across the mat and got in my victim's face. Was that because of the yelling? Everyone seemed to freeze, especially my 'victim'.

I was in the office at the time, but I heard you...Good lungs, lol...

Yes, the freeze is a 'normal' response to yelling, sucker punches, etc. for those that haven't trained to respond. Like, John was saying: people generally don't want to believe that something bad is actually happening. The brain starts scanning itself..."Is this real? Have I been through this before? What did I do". Ever hear someone say "my life flashed before my eyes"? This is what is happening...

This is the reason we do situation drills, usually under stress. The brain says "been there, done that" and the reaction/response time is much quicker.

The other answer (having not been in the room) is that if there was no weapon visible it was, at that point, just a verbal confrontation. I think in reality most wouldn't really do anything other than gawk until there was physical confrontation. Unless it really was a used-car dealer.

...And don't forget the Bystander Effect.

Edited by Coyote