GA intruder stopped, almost

dustinsn3485

Yeah, the weird thing is that the lower powered cartridges usually need to shoot ball ammo to get the penetration.

.38 is essentially a 9mm.

Target ammo (FMJ) achieves more penetration. Smaller trauma from wounds.

The purpose of JHP expansion is to leave the force in the target so it does not exit and create more damage elsewhere.

Five rounds to the face should kill someone. But don't forget bullets love to glance off round targets. Forehead ricochets, cheek hits, maybe a lucky round in his neck that didn't sever anything vital.

IMO self defense shooting should always be COM. Better target acquisition, and better chance for expansion. Maybe a round in the head for good measure after you've done the job..

Another school of thought says aim for the pelvis. Risk of ricochet is there, but you shatter the pelvis, they aren't going anywhere.

Bet she wishes she had an assault rifle...

Why? Her .38 did the trick.....it saved her and the kids. Its better than a sharp stick!

Not being an expert I would guess she was shooting practice rounds in a caliber that I would consider to be small anymore. I have bought my wife a small .40 auto loaded with pers. prot. 155 gr. Gold Dots. They have a high pct of stopping power and are about equal to a .357 in that respect.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/handgun_power_chart.htm

Edited by ohiomike