Hot water tanks

Bad324

Are these something I should research thoroughly or is it something I can just run down to Home Depot and pick one up and not have to worry too much about?

Mine is seemingly on its last legs and needs to be replaced at some point this year so starting to look into it now so I'm prepared when the old tax refund shows up

Yep, sizing is key. My wife has now decided that 20+ min showers are a good idea, and our 40gal. runs out of hot water if I try to shower at the same time in the master, or if I just showered, or try to get in the shower after her. And yes, we shower together to save water sometimes, but ya know :)

Parents had an 80 when they built their place, it was DOPE, 3 showers, laundry, dishwasher, no issues.

I plan to replace our current one when we have a kid with a 60 which is what they have now and it's fine. Plus mine is like 15 yrs old.

Excellent! Mine is 11 years old and is showing the tell tale signs of needing replaced. Just hoping it holds out until April when my Dad gets back to Florida since he will help me install it

I recommend tankless. They are a bigger investment at first. Keeping a big tank full of water costs more in utilities and is wasteful. Most people seem to resist change though.

Sizing especially on electric tank models is important since electric water heaters recover slower than gas.

Signed ex appliance guru

Edited by crb

Excellent! Mine is 11 years old and is showing the tell tale signs of needing replaced. Just hoping it holds out until April when my Dad gets back to Florida since he will help me install it

As someone with a 18-year-old tank, what are those telltale signs that I should be watching out for?

If your tank is equipped with a drain valve at the bottom you should be flushing the tank annually typically. Also, there is sometimes a sacrificial anode rod in the tank which after it's gone minerals will start in on the tank itself. So check to see if you have an anode rod and if there's anything left of it. These can be replaced also which help the longevity.

Then there's the whole dielectric unions debate when installing a new tank.

As someone with a 18-year-old tank, what are those telltale signs that I should be watching out for?

the biggest one mine suffers from is hearing all the sediment/rust inside the tank floating around. At least between my dad and the home inspector both said that was a good indication I should replace it soonish. I havent had problems with actually running out of hot water or leaking but I'd rather take care of it before it does

Did you buy a home warranty? If so the warranty will replace it.

nope, I bought the house knowing it needed replaced soon as well as got a small discount on price for various fixes it needed

Tankless are good but Ive read countless comments about them NOT heating enough water for 2-3 applications at once, I couldn't handle that. I often take a shower while my dishwasher, washer, are all running, or just before/after and never have any issues with that, just the wifes showers.

Also the install of the tankless can be a pita, venting along with other requirements for them make it at times, costly, and difficult. There wa a HUGE thread on this on Wera just recently and it was really interesting, way more input and info there.

But I've never flushed mine once, and just installed a softner a few years ago and no issues. Knock on wood. I had the pilot go out 2-3 times and thats it. I have been thinking about flushing it but figure my wife would want to shower like right after and rip me. :)

R1, you just leave the water pressure inlet on right and flush it for like 5 mins to push the sediment out a garden hose basically? My dad was asking me the other day about it because he's gone through several due to his geothermal and well water with a super high mineral content.

And do you turn the hot water outlet to the hosue off as you flush it?

Tankless are good but Ive read countless comments about them NOT heating enough water for 2-3 applications at once, I couldn't handle that. I often take a shower while my dishwasher, washer, are all running, or just before/after and never have any issues with that, just the wifes showers.

Also the install of the tankless can be a pita, venting along with other requirements for them make it at times, costly, and difficult. There wa a HUGE thread on this on Wera just recently and it was really interesting, way more input and info there.

But I've never flushed mine once, and just installed a softner a few years ago and no issues. Knock on wood. I had the pilot go out 2-3 times and thats it. I have been thinking about flushing it but figure my wife would want to shower like right after and rip me. :)

R1, you just leave the water pressure inlet on right and flush it for like 5 mins to push the sediment out a garden hose basically? My dad was asking me the other day about it because he's gone through several due to his geothermal and well water with a super high mineral content.

Tankless have to be sized appropriately based on gpm. Install is not terrible depending on location of unit. Electric tankless are very simple to install.

Stay away from Whirpool!!! they are JUNK!! i have put three in my house in three years, each one was covered under warrenty but obviously labor is not. Guy at Lowes was so pissed with the amount he has had returned that he just gave me one off the shelf and told me to not even bother bringing the last one back.

Most of this information is good...

http://www.ronhazelton.com/tips/how_to_drain_and_flush_a_water_heater

I've rented 2 places with the tankless and they are awesome. The only problem is the first place hadn't been lived in for a while and it seemed like you had to only turn on the hot water to get a hot shower. After bringing it up that I thought the water heater was wearing out the maintenance man turned the heat setting up on it pretty much to max. That sucked the first time turning the water on for a shower after that.